How to learn nut filing and fret leveling

alexreinhold

Many of the fine folks here have made me a better guitar builder over the last years. I've reached acceptable finishing and assembling levels but I seem to be hitting an impasse in my learning curve with the fine adjustments on the neck - particular nut filing and fret leveling (including all the dressing steps).

To my understanding mastering these steps requires a) the right equipment and b) repetition. I'm particularly struggling with b) because I simply don't have a bunch of necks and nuts for trial and error experiments.

How did the experts on here learn it and what are your recommendations?

PS: I'm not asking for guidance on how to do fret leveling and nut filing but on how to become good at it.

Hi Alex, I am sure we provided information in another thread with advise on tools and learning materials from Stew Mac written by Dan Erlewine etc.

But how to get good at it?

I think the first thing is that when people come to practice a new skill is that not everyone starts at the same point. Meaning some will have more transferable skills and others may have more of a feel than others for the activity.

Also be willing to challenge yourself that there is more to learn and that tools and skills need investment.

Repetition, you don't necessarily need a bunch of necks. Get maybe one or two necks or cheaper guitars and they will give you the possibility to mod, swap nuts, make nuts, swap them again. Do fretwork, then do a re fret on them.

OK - so probably a cheap Yamaha or Squier guitar on which I can go crazy will do. Plus the tools of course.

I currently have the skills / tools to spot fix small problems on frets (at least my first two attempts at fretwork went well) but dealing with a very un-level neck is a bigger challenge I haven't faced. Nuts are a whole new world to me. Re-fretting seems lightyears away.

Alex, I've been holding off on a badly needed leveling of the #5 fret on an older Ovation.

On the one hand, it's a guitar I don't play often, otoh, it's a perfect practice piece, given it's not a high value instrument, and the problem is sufficiently glaring that it would be hard not to improve on its current state.

So I'll be taking an inexpensive fine carborundum stone to it fairly soon, to be followed by polishing steps.

Nuts are another matter. I did a less than perfect job on my bringing down the nut grooves in my warmoth strat, went too deep and also initially too narrow. I was aiming to match the action at the nut to my Martin, and eventually got there by padding the low slots with appropriately narrow paper shims, cut with a scalpel. I feared it would affect tone, and happily it hasn't.

Those shims have stayed in place for several string changes, I have a tusq replacement I should get around to doing correctly, however for now it ain't broken in a way I can hear, so I've been holding off. I also now have a more complete set of nut files, that should help.

Have a look at Harley Benton from Thomann, a sacrificial guitar can probably be had for €150 give or take and as you are in Germany, there is free shipping.

You might check for the tutorials from Ron Kirn (Ron Kirn Signature guitars) that have traditionally been found on the TDPRI forum.  Also plenty of info on the net, some of it good and some not.  Just remember that when you are cutting nut slots, go slow when you get close to your ideal depth or you will be learning to replace a nut you just installed!  :glasses10:

Thanks everyone. This is very good advice. I'm currently clearing the clutter in my life. Once I have a bit more space, I'll do this next rather than jumping to the next build. Will keep you posted.

I am only good enough at it to do my own stuff semi confidently. I started by refretting two Squier necks that I had laying about. I only have a couple files and abrasive cord. I have also used old guitar strings as cord to work slots. It is very tedious, but the more you can do for your own guitars it saves money and nobody knows what you want better than you do. With the exception of really great luthiers  :laughing7:

Back