Fractal experts....come on in!

aarontunes

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Staff member
So, I'm in the market for a rack mounted digital preamp for my home studio. I already own an FM3 and love it. If there were a rackmounted version of the FM3 it would plenty sufficient for my needs. Alas, the only racked solution Fractal offers is the flagship AxeFX III, which is eleventy-bajillion dollars.

Here is my question:

I can get a used AxeFX II for much less. Is the sound quality the same as the III? Is the main difference memory and computing horsepower?

Correllary questions:

Other more affordable rack mounted possibilities are the Line 6 and the Kemper. Can anyone here compare and contrast?
Do you have any other rack-able suggestions?

The III is heads above the II. It’s more than what you mentioned but updated algos through the FW. I have a first gen III. PM me ASAP

I have a Helix Rack and the associated floor controller and I have been very happy with it for 6+ years. I often think about the AFX3 but it is indeed eleventy-bajillion dollars and I dont got that kinda cash.

I have several friends that have the Axe II and III and agree that there is a difference in the algorithms and that the Axe3 has soooo much more horsepower when you need complex stuff.

If you arent set on the Axe I would get a line 6 HX stomp or stomp XL used and try their amp models then if you feel they are worthy, upgrade to the Helix Rack.

Why not just put the FM3 on a rack tray and get a foot controller such as the Fractal FC6 to control it from the stage?

I have not had a fractal now for several years, but the above seems a suitable option.

I'm sure that the AxeFX III is better than the AxeFX II. BUT!! is the delta in performance worth it for what you want to do with it? That's the question. I suspect that it might work just fine with what you want to do.

Having said that, I personally found the whole modelling thing so unsatisfying that I eventually started a pedal company - so what do I know?

Why not just put the FM3 on a rack tray and get a foot controller such as the Fractal FC6 to control it from the stage?

I have not had a fractal now for several years, but the above seems a suitable option.

It's for studio use only, and the racks on my desk are angled.

Would it not sit in the angled racks or the desk?

If it sat in a drawer in the angled rack I would not be able to see the top of it. It could sit on the desk (as it does now) but I'm looking for a racked solution so I can get it off my desk.

If it sat in a drawer in the angled rack I would not be able to see the top of it. It could sit on the desk (as it does now) but I'm looking for a racked solution so I can get it off my desk.
Ah, gotcha. I had the Axe FX II several years back, and it was a fine machine. A used one would not be as powerful as the current offerings or be able to run the absolute latest software, but here is a link to the latest downloads.

BUT!! is the delta in performance worth it for what you want to do with it? That's the question.

I know for certain I will never come close to using all the FX III has to offer. I wish Fractal offered a scaled down rack version....basically the FM3 in a rack format.

Having said that, I personally found the whole modelling thing so unsatisfying that I eventually started a pedal company - so what do I know?

Pedals are definitely my preferred options for a lot of things! For songwriting/recording I've tried a bunch of different things: my real amps mic'ed, my real amps through a Captor X, VST plugins, etc. It certainly ain't perfect but the thing that works best for me most often for guitar tones is the FM3.

I think it's because I write/record with such a range of tones that I like to know I have them all contained in one place. They are quick and easy to dial up, and to me they sound just as good as any tones I've been able to get from my real amps in my little home studio, with much less work.

For something like bass, where I stay in a much narrower lane tone-wise, a single pedal solution would be great! 🤨 🧐

Back