Modeler Questions - Follow Up - Fractal FM3 or FM9 (when available!)

Ozopart

I had decided on the Kemper Stage. But for reasons I don't want to discuss here it didn't work out. I tried to purchase it but to me it seems as though their USA presence is not well organized and the support just wasn't there for me.

I am now looking at the FM3 or the FM9. I am on the Waitlist for the FM9 but who know when it will actually be available, and when my name would come up on the list for shipment.

I have downloaded all of the documentation for Fractal, and specifically looked at the "Fractal Audio Blocks Guide". In the guide it has a chart with feature comparisons between the AXE III, FM9 and the FM3. I studied this but am still unsure as to whether to get the FM3, or wait for the FM9.

To reiterate from previous posts, I am interested in the amp/cabinet emulation, but even more interested in using it to emulated pedals so as to not have to buy a plethora of pedals that take up a lot of space. I know that digital emulation will likely never be 100% as good as analog pedals, but if it is a long way towards that, and gives me a lot of options for building rigs, I am very interested in pursuing this option. I just don't know how much value added the FM9 is over the FM3 for a non-gigging, mostly home player like me.

You know what, the FM3 will be just great.  It will seriously knock your socks off.  Don't worry about it and just buy the FM3.

I know this because I just listed my AxeFX Ultra on Reverb, and I fired it up to make sure it still worked and all that.  It was KILLER!  And that's first generation!

you won't be disappointed.

Mayfly said:
You know what, the FM3 will be just great.  It will seriously knock your socks off.  Don't worry about it and just buy the FM3.

I know this because I just listed my AxeFX Ultra on Reverb, and I fired it up to make sure it still worked and all that.  It was KILLER!  And that's first generation!

you won't be disappointed.

Thanks, given your expertise in engineering products, your opinion is very much appreciated. But, just as an FYI, do you know what value added the FM9 offers for a home player? I am thinking overhead/capacity (CPU), and maybe more foot switches would be the primary benefits. But if the benefits don't add value to a home player like me, saving dollars is desireable. I am not into selling things that I don't use anymore as I don't like PayPal, or other FinTech products. So whatever I buy now has to last for a while at least.

As an AXE player since 2009, for how I would use one (home and live) the FM3 doesn’t cut it for a switch aspect. I’m not someone to create multiple scenes for each song.  Where I use to play live our repertoire was +500 songs.  You didn’t know what you’d have to play until a few days beforehand.

I tend to create patches as sonic play grounds, then bring in effects as needed. 

Myself, I’d wait for the FM9. 
May I ask, why not for for a III and a FC-12?

TBurst Std said:
As an AXE player since 2009, for how I would use one (home and live) the FM3 doesn’t cut it for a switch aspect. I’m not someone to create multiple scenes for each song.  Where I use to play live our repertoire was +500 songs.  You didn’t know what you’d have to play until a few days beforehand.

I tend to create patches as sonic play grounds, then bring in effects as needed. 

Myself, I’d wait for the FM9. 
May I ask, why not for for a III and a FC-12?

You absolutely may ask. A couple of reasons: (1) It is higher cost than I prefer. I can certainly afford it if it is overall value for me, but it is definitely higher cost than I prefer. I am guessing that all in for the AXE III and FC-12 would be $3K or more. (2) I am not sure I need the additional features as I only play at home.
All that being said, I really don't like to keep buying stuff so if the AXE III and FC-12 would be the best value long term, I would do it. I should also say my fear is in the remorse I might feel if I spend $3K or more and a newer, "better" model comes out next year. Sort of the MacBook conundrum.

IMO, get the FM3 and be done.

I personally am only interested what a tool can do for me, and a tool that doesn't exist can't do jack squat. Since I got my FM3 I've used it on tons of rehearsals, a couple gigs, and recorded an entire album with it.

So far the FM9 that I'm on the wait list for hasn't helped me accomplish anything. When/if it ever materializes I'll make another decision then....but so far I haven't come across a situation where the FM3 did not work just as well.

The Aaron said:
IMO, get the FM3 and be done.

I personally am only interested what a tool can do for me, and a tool that doesn't exist can't do jack squat. Since I got my FM3 I've used it on tons of rehearsals, a couple gigs, and recorded an entire album with it.

So far the FM9 that I'm on the wait list for hasn't helped me accomplish anything.
So a virtual solution doesn't provide much satisfaction!!!! Agreed. Just curious, one of my goals is to model various sounds and then be able to quickly switch between them while playing. For example, Robin Trower type sound, then maybe Kurt Cobain, then David Gilmour, etc. That is why I am wondering what one does with only 3 foot switches. I wish I was the type to buy and sell later when something new comes along, but that just isn't me.

Ozopart said:
So a virtual solution doesn't provide much satisfaction!!!! Agreed. Just curious, one of my goals is to model various sounds and then be able to quickly switch between them while playing. For example, Robin Trower type sound, then maybe Kurt Cobain, then David Gilmour, etc. That is why I am wondering what one does with only 3 foot switches. I wish I was the type to buy and sell later when something new comes along, but that just isn't me.

Get the FM3 and the extension footswitch. Then you'll end up with essentially an FM9 (minus some computing power) that has the added benefit of being modular. I think Studio Slips even sells a case custom made to carry the two pieces.

FYI, I have never run into a computing limitation for my use. If all you are running is a head/cab and some FX you probably won't either.

The Aaron said:
Ozopart said:

Get the FM3 and the extension footswitch. Then you'll end up with essentially an FM9 (minus some computing power) that has the added benefit of being modular. I think Studio Slips even sells a case custom made to carry the two pieces.

FYI, I have never run into a computing limitation for my use. If all you are running is a head/cab and some FX you probably won't either.
You are right, I don't even understand the use case for 2 head/cab's. Not sure if it means two inputs can use the unit, or one input has sound from two rigs. Either way, I just want to be able to model different sounds without the overhead of lots of pedals.
I appreciate your input here. As to the FM9, my quess is also that when it comes out with more availability, it will be at a higher price. Maybe not, but these days it wouldn't surprise me.

AA is right.  A FM3 plus an ext board gets you there.  At that point, you’re a good way there $ wise to a III and FC 12.

I haven’t maxed out any AXE except for the Ultra with the last FW they offered. It was a very complex patch using multiples of everything. (FYI the same patch on the III uses 78%). Ive since learned a better way to accomplish whatI want. 

Keep in mind that the purposes(it’s better to call them modes) on the FC and I presume on the FMs are configurable on the fly.

My fav option is using it preset based.  Each preset that you choose this with is stored and recalled

I did a TON of research back then and Aaron is spot on - FM3 + extensions = (almost FM9). No mistakes to be made going down just that route.

I tried again for the Kemper, no luck. I am on the FM9 Waitlist but who knows when that will ship. So I went ahead and ordered the FM3. I appreciate everyone's input.
For Aaron, or anyone else who has an FM3, am I correct that to connect to Studio Monitors or other speakers I am required to use XLR cables? My monitor speakers accept either XLR or 1/4 Jack type inputs. If I can use non-XLR cables I have them already, if not I need to buy XLR cables. If XLR cables are needed, and given that my monitor speakers are Female inputs, would the following XLR cables work?
XLR Male to XLR Female plugs for balanced I/O
Thanks again for everyone's input.

Go XLR don’t even think 1/4.
And now research a FRFR monitor to get to stage/ live volumes if desired.my FRFR can easily reach 120db so can serve as production if there’s no audio support in the house.

Also it allows me to audition my patches at live levels to see if they behave.

TBurst Std said:
Go XLR don’t even think 1/4.
And now research a FRFR monitor to get to stage/ live volumes if desired.my FRFR can easily reach 120db so can serve as production if there’s no audio support in the house.

Also it allows me to audition my patches at live levels to see if they behave.
Any FRFR suggestions? I do think I will start with my studio monitors, but once I am sure I am happy with the FM3 I will for sure look into FRFR. As to cables, is the FM3 male, so I would need a Female end of the XLR cable for it?

A std XLR. Male/ female ends will work.
As far as FRFR, I was using some older QSC HPR 112is.  Those are stupid heavy at over 70 lbs each.  I recently trade those in on a Mackie DRM212.

Sounded great at the store. Weights under 40lbs. Haven’t tried it at home.

TBurst Std said:
A std XLR. Male/ female ends will work.
As far as FRFR, I was using some older QSC HPR 112is.  Those are stupid heavy at over 70 lbs each.  I recently trade those in on a Mackie DRM212.

Sounded great at the store. Weights under 40lbs. Haven’t tried it at home.
Thanks, I will order some cables so I have them when the FM3 arrives.

For a good reasonably priced FRFR you might look at Carvin. They have newer 12" models at 1KW at $349. I have an older model a PM12A with 400 watts rms and 122db and the weight is very manageable. I like it.

Spud said:
For a good reasonably priced FRFR you might look at Carvin. They have newer 12" models at 1KW at $349. I have an older model a PM12A with 400 watts rms and 122db and the weight is very manageable. I like it.
I searched on their site for FRFR and nothing came up. Would this be an FRFR speaker, or do you know the current model number for their FRFR speaker?
V112E 1X12 GUITAR EXTENSION CABINET W EMENENCE GT12

While I have not researched that link, it’s title says that is NOT what you want.  You do not want an ext guitar cab.  And you do not want guiitar speakers.  What you are looking for is a PA system.  As neutral as possible.

Back