Forstner Drill Bit Help

Hey All,

My current Forstner 3/8’’ drill bit for drilling Warmoth finishes is ready for replacement.  I went to my local box store and picked up a Diablo Forstner bit.

Not a bad bit, but it is slightly lifting the finish leaving a rim that you can chip off with your fingernail.

Can some one point me in the right direction (on line source, etc.).   

I noticed a lot of wave style Forstner bits at various venders. Will this do the job?

Thanks, Joe

I'd think those Diablo bits would work fine since they're made by Freud who makes fairly good router bits. I don't know what the best ones are and will be following this thread to find out.

That said, the ones with saw teeth probably aren't the best ones to use on your guitar body so I'd probably avoid them.

Thanks Rgand,

I tried the Diablo on an old guitar body before hitting the new Warmoth build…no luck.
I used one of my new Lee valley Brad bits….it cut clean and perfect.  I know I can use these, but I would like to find a good Forstner bit to use.

You mentioned Lee Valley so I checked online. They have some decent looking ones. I wonder if they would cut the finish cleanly.

33j0408i.jpg

Thanks! Ya just beat me to it.  For some reason (ok I get the big DUH!) I was looking at the saw tooth/teeth bits instead of the one you posted.

Thanks much!  :eek:ccasion14:

I've always had good luck with carbide Freud bits. One thing to be aware of with any Forstner bits is they will heat up remarkably fast, and heat is the enemy of sharp edges. When you're cutting, don't be too agressive, and back out a touch once in awhile to let the edges cool.

Guitar Repair Clinic said:
Thanks! Ya just beat me to it.  For some reason (ok I get the big DUH!) I was looking at the saw tooth/teeth bits instead of the one you posted.

Thanks much!  :eek:ccasion14:
I may try those myself next time I need one.

Back