String Retainers and a broken screw

Knarz

Recently I went back and decided to add string retainers to my first Warmoth Strat build http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=10616.0 (and my first strat in 30 years) which does not have a locking nut.  I had noticed many Strats on this board don't have them so didn't bother with them at first but noticed that I was finding string bends on the 1/2/3 strings were a bit harder than all my other Gibson style necks.  

On an added note, I recall having read in Guitar Player years ago that Joe Perry mentioned reversed string tension from the inverted string lengths as one of the reasons he plays the lefty strats upside down, that and the angle of the strings across the pickup.

Anyway - after playing with the retainer position a bit just by using my thumb over the roller, I verified that the string tension is a bit more even and marked my drill location.

Next came my big mistake - I drilled the hole, but not to the full depth of the screw.  As I threaded the first one in (by hand slowly), on the third turn the screw just started to bend.  I tried to back off...to late, the head snapped off.  Tried to use needle nose channel vice grips only to find that the screw is so soft that is literaly compresses apart.
http://www.warmoth.com/Barrel-Retainer-for-Guitar-Gold-P438C79.aspx

I came across this "broken screw" thread here http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=519.0  
with a variety of suggestions..some in opposition, but the most sound seems to be "First until you calm down" and then the following by CB:
"
DO NOT USE A DREMEL

DO NOT USE EXTRACTORS

There is one, and only ONE way to effectively remove the screws broken below grade.

First of all, the screw is in there because its TIGHT to begin with, so the extractor is not going to do much, as it took a full slot on the head to break it clean off instead of moving the threads.

Here's how to fix it.

Go down to the local hobby shop, but also, welding supply places have similar.  Get some steel tubing that is "just bigger" than the body of the screw.  Now take your dremel, or a hand file, and make some nice even, and sharp, V notches in the end of the tubing. Cut about an inch of the tubing (with the notches on the end) and place it in a crank drill.  Now drill over the end of the broken screw - in the same direction you want to turn the screw.  Go slow, light pressure and remove wood a bit at a time.  Soon, the screw will come out, with a little wooden plug too.  Now, go back down to the hobby shop get some small maple dowel, and plug the hole.  When the glue is dry, redrill it.  And try again.  You'll not see "the repair" because the tuner and screw head cover it.

This is the only way... trust me trust me trust me.

My reference is Frank Ford:  www.frets.com

I've used this method myself on several used guitars I've gotten, that had broken tuner screws.  In every case, it worked flawlessly"

Hopefully this will all go well so I can use the same spot on the headstock and not drill another hole.

Any other thoughts and suggestions on sting retainers and screw extraction is much appreciated.

This is good advice and a good way to get that screw out.  I definitely agree with you, a cool head first and foremost! 

Back