For the next guitar that I don't really need...

Johnny

I just finished my first build and I'm already planning another.  This place is kind of addictive.

Anyway, I'd like to build a Les Paul.  The top should be flame maple while the bulk of the body could be any of several woods - Mahogany, Black Korina, Macore and likely others.  Also, I like the green burst finish (or perhaps green dye).  The following bodies are currently in the showcase and I like both of them:

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=lpcp303&Body=2&Path=Body
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=LPC158&Body=2&Path=Body

The one with the green dye finish is really close to the color I would want.  The finished is labeled as being green dye, but it appears to me to be a green burst finish.  Anyway, I think this looks very nice and I now know, from experience, that the pictures really don't do justice to how well Warmoth's guitars really look. The only downside is that it doesn't have a higher grade of flame maple on the top, but to me at least, it looks like a very nice laminate.

I also like the unfinished one for a couple of reasons.  First, the one piece laminate top is appealing and second I really like the looks of the Black Korina body.

So, I have a couple of questions:

1) Does the green one have a green dye or green burst finish?  It only matters to me if I decide to purchase an unfinished body and specify what finish to be applied.

2) Can I expect the unfinished one to have a more beautiful top then the green one after it's been finished? This I ask because I have a really tough time telling the grade of one flame maple top from the next and I have no way to judge how well it would look after being finished.

3) When getting Warmoth to finish a body, I realize that they cannot be exact with colors, but if I request a green burst finish, how much variation could there be from one job to the next (assuming the same top wood, of course)?  In looking at the various green Strats available in the showcase, some are lighter and some are darker.  I like the ones that are on the lighter side.  Can they accomodate a request to have the finish be close to some other showcase body?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Johnny

Johnny said:
So, I have a couple of questions:

1) Does the green one have a green dye or green burst finish?  It only matters to me if I decide to purchase an unfinished body and specify what finish to be applied.

2) Can I expect the unfinished one to have a more beautiful top then the green one after it's been finished? This I ask because I have a really tough time telling the grade of one flame maple top from the next and I have no way to judge how well it would look after being finished.

3) When getting Warmoth to finish a body, I realize that they cannot be exact with colors, but if I request a green burst finish, how much variation could there be from one job to the next (assuming the same top wood, of course)?  In looking at the various green Strats available in the showcase, some are lighter and some are darker.  I like the ones that are on the lighter side.  Can they accomodate a request to have the finish be close to some other showcase body?

1) The green LP body you showed has both:  a bright green dyed top and a darker green burst edge.  It may be that it was dyed with dark green, sanded back, then dyed again with lighter green to make the figuring more pronounced.

2) "More beautiful" is so purely subjective that no "correct" answer can be given here.  But the figuring on the unfinished body you've linked here is, to my eye, of very high quality (meaning it's quite pronounced), and would bear a green dye finish such as the one in your example above very nicely.

3)  If you supply a photograph of what you're after, you can bet that the finishing team at Warmoth will do a very good job of approximating it.

Your best bet is to rely on representations from actual Warmoth employees, of whom several are also participants on this forum. Rob Rounds, the sales manager, has been an excellent source of information, as has Wylieee (who, unless I am remembering wrong, I think is no longer at Warmoth, but was instrumental in managing this forum for a long time, and still moderates).  When all else fails , pick up the phone and call - it's really the best way to ensure that what you need to know is delivered by the most reliable source.]

Finally, I salute your taste. Good luck!

Bagman

The 2nd States that it is .... Super High Grade ONE PIECE DL Flame Top  :toothy10:

So that one is much better than the 1st. That One piece flame is nice too.
Being one piece you have no mismatch in the flame. (Centre line match-up)

The Black Korina would look great with Clear Gloss / Back
Then get them to do Burst to Clear Green

** Example ..... Like they did for Bagman (But in Purple)
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=17614.0

Bagman67 said:
"More beautiful" is so purely subjective that no "correct" answer can be given here.

Very true.  I guess I didn't state it, but I was only looking for the opinions or thoughts from forum members who have more experience with building guitars and Warmoth than I do.  Ultimately, it's my decision and my responsibility, whatever I choose to do.

Bagman67 said:
When all else fails , pick up the phone and call.

Yep, but I don't want to bother them until I'm a bit more certain that I'm going to pull the trigger on this.  I'm still feeling guilty about buying the last one and now it's only a month or so later and looking to build another.

Curiously, a night or two ago, I just remembered how I found Warmoth.  I got interested in the Variax electronics, but I'm not a big fan of the actual guitars (though the JT's are much nicer then the older ones).  I came across Jeff Miller's Variax PRS build which led me to Warmoth.  I wasn't confident enough to attempt a Variax build (with pickups) plus I didn't have the electronics, so I decided to build a Strat for the experience.  Now here I am thinking I need a LP and then build a Tele with Variax electronics and a pair of humbuckers.  I'm going to need a second job or maybe seek some counseling.  :icon_smile:

Tipperman said:
Go with a Walnut body. Trust me.

Nope, I can't just trust you.  :icon_smile:  However, I'm interested in you're experience with it.  What makes you so enamored with Walnut?

Thanks!

Johnny,

I feel you pain.  We followed a lot of the same paths. 

I got the itch to get a new guitar so I thought why not put a little more thought into it and build one I wanted.  At least this takes more time than driving to the nearest big box guitar store or surfing the web. 

I have a LP and a Strat among others as well.  So I thought, self, what about a Tele, but not just any Tele.  I wanted something to stand out.  So I decided on Strat electronics.  Well that wasn't enough so I decided Synth Elcectonics.  The initial idea was to put a Gprahtec Ghost system on it (I saw some on this forum, very nice) but wasn't comfortable with required mods.  So I added a Roland removeable system instead (see the picture)

That all happend Fall of last year.  Now, unfortunately, like you, I've got the bug.  Last week I ordered my second build.  This one will be more along the lines of a standard Tele.  The differenes will be a mahogany body, flame maple top, rear routed with no pick guard.  Brown to Clear burst.  I opted for a rear route in case I get the balls to add the Ghost System later. 

So...  you are not alone.  This is like Lays Potato Chips, you can't stop at just one!

Attachments

• DSC01789[1].jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 347
That's a very nice guitar, Jcurl.  Not crazy about the Roland wart on it, but that's not meant as a criticism.  It's a nice way to go if you ever think you might want to remove, upgrade it or whatever.  Anyway, it doesn't take away from that being one great looking instrument.

I've considered the Roland option as well.  I've never messed with one, but suspect it's probably on par with the Variax.  My only preference for the Variax electronics is that I have a POD X3 Live that I run straight into a PA.  After lugging a lot of heavy Mesa gear around for a long time, I'm happy to have something I can carry under my arm.

I should be getting some money back from the IRS this year.  Maybe I should hurry up and get my taxes filed.

Not a fan of the wart either but it's totally removeable.  Not even a screw to hold it on!

Good luck with the next build!  It was just interesting that we came to and got hooked on Warmoth in similar manner.

Back