For my next build......

jackthehack

Epic Member
Just ordered this body for a VIP build with all gold harware:

vipp73a.jpg

vipp73b.jpg

vipp73c.jpg

Can't show you a neck pic, had to order a Warmoth Pro 10/16 w/Warmoth peghead; wenge with ebony fretboard, gold 61GD frets, graphite nut and custom diamond inlays.

Have at least 5 weeks to wait on the neck while I'm mulling over what pickups to put in this puppy; REALLY liked the Lace Arena set I put in the Spalted Maple Strat build, but might go all-out PRS on this one and order a set of gold PRS Dragon IIs or maybe a Rio Grande Texas BBQ set?

top notch body its gona make a killer custom looking forward to your project  as it comes together
        kayle

Still need to figure what to do for pickups.....decisions, decisions...... can't make up my mind between the Texas BBQ set or PRS Dragon IIs.....

:cool01: Finally received all items except custom ordered wenge/ebony Warmoth neck for this build, will be waiting at least another 4 weeks on the neck, and again, neither the Showcase pictures nor my digital camera really do the transparent Amber/natural binding Black Korina body justice....

NOW I have to break down and make the decision as to pickups prior to neck arrival, will be using a PRS style rotary switch, but will be wiring 1-5 neck, neck single coil, both, bridge single coil, bridge... I'm liking my Lace Arena set in another guitar so much in that wired configuration that I may go that route if I don't break down and get the PRS Dragon II set.... Decisions, decsions....

PRSbody.jpg

Broke down and just bought the Rio Grande TX BBQ 4 conductor set in gold for the build, had to order direct from Rio Grande as no one seems to have that set online anywhere at a discount (HINT - Gregg....)

To quote Bill the Cat: "ACK....ppphhhtttt!!!!" another 4 weeks wait on the neck!!! And of course today they threw a Wenge/Ebony neck up on the Showcase....

Finally got the wenge/ebony neck yesterday:

wenge1.jpg

wenge2.jpg

Was afraid it was going to turn out to streaky after seeing somebody else's wenge neck pic, but it will work OK with body; thankfully Monday's a holiday so I can get this build finished and continue finishing work on Tele Special....

Hey Jack, how do those diamond inlays look?  Are they mother of pearl?  I've noticed that the custom inlay section says synthetic pearl, but it just says mother of pearl for the dots.  I've assumed that the standard pearl dots are synthetic too, but I still haven't asked Warmoth to confirm it (it's not really that important).

Phrygian said:
Hey Jack, how do those diamond inlays look?  Are they mother of pearl?  I've noticed that the custom inlay section says synthetic pearl, but it just says mother of pearl for the dots.  I've assumed that the standard pearl dots are synthetic too, but I still haven't asked Warmoth to confirm it (it's not really that important).
Standard inlays are actually clay dots, not MOP.

Diamond inlays look great; if you look real close they're obviously synthetic; but look good nonetheless.

I'd probably have this bad boy done, but stuck on whether to coil-tap the TX BBQ set or just wire straight like a Santana III, or just coil tap the neck pickup...

coil tap them both with some push pull pots and call it good, they'll still work as normal humbuckers if you don't like it.  or just re-wire it.

I've tried coil-tapping any number of times, but to date I've only really been happy with the result of tapping a JBJr. when used as a SC bridge pickup in a top-route Strat, and with the set of Lace Arenas in my spalted maple Strat. These both work fine, but everything else I've tried personally winds up sounding too "thin" when tapped. Was going to do it just to check it out on the Rio Grande TX BBQ set, as this is my first use of that set, but am ending up thinking I'm not really into SC sounds on this particular build.

dudesweet157 said:
Phrygian said:
Standard inlays are actually clay dots, not MOP.

Are you trying to tell me that if you order mother of pearl dots that they actually clay?  :icon_scratch:

FYI:  I did say standard pearl dots

There are no standard pearl dots; std. on a dark fretboards are cream phenolic dots; abalone or MOP are $15 upcharge

Back