Floyd Rose

sbk12

Hello guys,I ordered a mahogany strat body witha recessed floyd bridge routing and now I am ordering the floyd and the guy asks me what size trem block do I need.How do I know what size do I need.I know what size nut a need,but cant find anything about the trem block.

You're not ordering the FR from Warmoth? Caveat Emptor! There are no end of cheap unlicensed Chinese FR/Wilkinson/you name it bridges out there in the market place, many are of very poor quality. Make sure you get a mechanical drawing of the bridge and/or mounting template before you buy it; a lot of these are off spec and will not line up with the respective standard bridge routings Warmoth does.

Was going to get the bridge from another source that was going to give me a big break on an original floyd and that fell through.Still getting an original at a great price,but need to know what size trem block.

I believe 37mm is a good size for your strat. otherwise look at the page of floyd rose.

Yeah,I have been there.I dont see any info for the "trem block" on the site.Man,I am frustrated.

Agreed on 37 mm for a recessed OFR.

"You're not ordering the FR from Warmoth? Caveat Emptor!"  Jack, they are out of the black ones and last I checked very low on the gold ones; I don't know about chrome.  They also don't know when their next shipment will arrive, as there have been some deaths in the Schaller family.  The most recent OFR I bought I had to go outside of Warmoth.

Thanks for the info.Yeah,I need one in black.Where would one go to find out that kind of info as far as the trem block goes?

DocNrock said:

"You're not ordering the FR from Warmoth? Caveat Emptor!"  Jack, they are out of the black ones and last I checked very low on the gold ones; I don't know about chrome.  They also don't know when their next shipment will arrive, as there have been some deaths in the Schaller family.  The most recent OFR I bought I had to go outside of Warmoth.

I wasn't necessarily implying that you HAD to buy your FR's from Warmoth; as the OP didn't specify where he was ordering from, the "Caveat Emptor" was referencing the Chinese knockoffs that typically go for around $49.99 on eBay or some other internet outlets. These often come with studs that won't fit in the holes that Warmoth routes, and may have stud spacing or other dimensional anomalies from a "real" FR bridge that can preclude it fitting in the Warmoth FR routing or working properly in such.

jackthehack said:
DocNrock said:

I wasn't necessarily implying that you HAD to buy your FR's from Warmoth; as the OP didn't specify where he was ordering from, the "Caveat Emptor" was referencing the Chinese knockoffs that typically go for around $49.99 on eBay or some other internet outlets. These often come with studs that won't fit in the holes that Warmoth routes, and may have stud spacing or other dimensional anomalies from a "real" FR bridge that can preclude it fitting in the Warmoth FR routing or working properly in such.

Gotcha!  I personally feel it would be caveat emptor to get it outside of W as their prices are great and you can get the studs pressed.  I didn't mean to imply anything else.  I just know that you're not a floyd fan and likely didn't know about the difficulties W was having in replenishing their stock of floyds.  Its all good.  Point taken about the knockoffs...I wouldn't want anything on my guitar branded "Ping."  :icon_biggrin:

Actually the Chinese knockoff syndrome isn't limited to FRs, same goes for Wilkinsons and other bridges and hardware, bottom line is that if it is 1/2 price or less than Warmoth or other legit outlets, avoid like the plague.

jackthehack said:
Actually the Chinese knockoff syndrome isn't limited to FRs, same goes for Wilkinsons and other bridges and hardware, bottom line is that if it is 1/2 price or less than Warmoth or other legit outlets, avoid like the plague.

Exactly.

DocNrock said:
jackthehack said:
DocNrock said:

Gotcha!  I personally feel it would be caveat emptor to get it outside of W as their prices are great and you can get the studs pressed.  I didn't mean to imply anything else.  I just know that you're not a floyd fan and likely didn't know about the difficulties W was having in replenishing their stock of floyds.  Its all good.  Point taken about the knockoffs...I wouldn't want anything on my guitar branded "Ping."  :icon_biggrin:

Agreed on the OFR. While the Ping is as close as you're going to get aftermarket-wise, it's only like a $30-40 savings(?)...not really worth it, IMO. Accept no substitutes. And all of my recessed Floyds work with 37mm...you'd only need a 32mm for a Soloist of something with a recessed tremolo-cavity cover, as well...or a thinner than standard body. Non-recessed, usually 42mm. I Big-Blocked all my Floyds recently, so the specs are still fresh in my head...;)

Thanks for the info guys.I sent an email to Floyd Rose last week on the 12th and finally got a response today.Not that I dont trust you guys,I just like to see if someone is actually out there with some of these big companies.

I ordered my Floyd outside of Warmoth because they were out of stock FOREVER, and i couldn't wait anymore.  Thats the only reason.

Back