Floyd Rose Question...

Torment Leaves Scars

Just got a nice Jackson Warrior with a Floyd Rose, and I've been attempting to set it up.

I know how to adjust the string action, using the "height screws" on the corners of the bridge, however, I feel like my High E string's action is still a tad high.  The problem is that if I adjust the bridge to accommodate the action of the High E, then my Low E buzzes.  I'm attempting to keep the bridge level at both sides.  Does this need to be the case, or can one side of the bridge be higher than the other to accommodate opposite ends of the "spectrum," so to speak?  In other words, does that bridge need to be kept level?

I hope I'm not being confusing...

You can certainly adjust one side or the other higher/lower to accommodate your needs. They also sell shims for both the nut and the saddles to accommodate string height and/or fretboard radius, as they're not adjustable otherwise. Some guys just cut up aluminum beer cans to make shims, probably because they're broke after buying a FR bridge <grin>

The lower strings will need more clearance above the frets to avoid buzzing. If you want things as low as possible, it is OK to have the bridge tilted a little. As above, shims on the individual saddles may be required to match the fretboard radius perfectly.

Okay, just wanna make sure I won't break anything by having it tipped a bit to one side over the other...

As for the shims, would there be a huge benefit to it?  The main issues were just with the E strings.

Thanks for the help!

It's a comfort thing. If you're ok, it's ok. Just keep in mind it's easy to get used to a particular setup, so if it's much different from another guitar, sometimes it can cause you problems when you move from one instrument to another.

Cagey said:
It's a comfort thing. If you're ok, it's ok. Just keep in mind it's easy to get used to a particular setup, so if it's much different from another guitar, sometimes it can cause you problems when you move from one instrument to another.

Good to know.

I find this very handy.

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/product/0670

I usually measure from the 12th fret and adjust both E's from the bottom of the string.  Set it so it doesn't buzz and match the other one to the same height.  Not too technical but it works for me.

thumb55 said:
I find this very handy.

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/product/0670

I usually measure from the 12th fret and adjust both E's from the bottom of the string.  Set it so it doesn't buzz and match the other one to the same height.  Not too technical but it works for me.

Good stuff!  I think I'll look into that! 

Thanks for sharing!

I rearranged the saddles on my Floyd as follows...

There's 3 heights of saddle on a Floyd Rose, IIRC the shortest one is "1" and the tallest is "3".  Standard arrangement is 1-2-3-3-2-1 low E to high E.  All my Floyds are set 2-3-3-2-1-1 low E to high E.  I have nary a problem with buzz/dead notes and my baseplate is nearly parallel with the body.  It's a bit of a pain in the rump to set it up this way, but my own experiencees have been successful.  Hope this helps!

KainThornn said:
I rearranged the saddles on my Floyd as follows...

There's 3 heights of saddle on a Floyd Rose, IIRC the shortest one is "1" and the tallest is "3".  Standard arrangement is 1-2-3-3-2-1 low E to high E.  All my Floyds are set 2-3-3-2-1-1 low E to high E.  I have nary a problem with buzz/dead notes and my baseplate is nearly parallel with the body.  It's a bit of a pain in the rump to set it up this way, but my own experiencees have been successful.  Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Hi everyone, this is my first post, here, I'm from Dominican Republic,
I got a Fender With a Floyd Rose, and this is my question:

My fender has a Original Floyd Rose. a Schaller floyd will fit into the rout of my fender?

Thank Very much, I'll waiting for the answer
and excuse me for my English

Mervin

If I remember correctly, the base plates of Original Floyds and Schallers are the same dimensions, but I'm less than 100% certain.  The main difference between the routs of Floyds and Schallers is the longer area for the Floyd's saddle lock screws.  Hope this helps! :headbang:

KainThornn said:
If I remember correctly, the base plates of Original Floyds and Schallers are the same dimensions, but I'm less than 100% certain.  The main difference between the routs of Floyds and Schallers is the longer area for the Floyd's saddle lock screws.  Hope this helps! :headbang:

I have a Schaller-Floyd on my Warmoth, and a "licensed by Floyd" on a Jackson.  Upon comparison, they're very similar, but I do believe on the ORIGINAL Floyds, the rear of the bridge is significantly longer than that of the Schaller-Floyd.

IMO, if you have access to the Schaller-Floyd, get it, because it's a superior design to the ORIGINAL Floyd.  The bridges are thicker, and made of a stronger material.

Of course. That is why I said generally. But in this instance the cast is not better just different.

Back