Floyd Rose Pro ?

enb141

Hi guys I'm interested on a soloist but I would like to know what do you think about Floyd Rose Pro instead of Floyd Rose Original?

Floyd Rose Pro VS Original or standard one.

The Pro  is lower profile, like ibaneze look and feel.
The pro is really nice. very sleek looking and works the same as the stranded one.

IIRC the Floyd Rose Pro is about the same as the Schaller Floyd.  It's mostly up to aesthetics.  Only difference whilst playing is that the OFR has slightly wider string spacing than the Pro.
Make certain that the pivot posts are the same width/distance apart on both before ordering.

AutoBat said:
IIRC the Floyd Rose Pro is about the same as the Schaller Floyd.  It's mostly up to aesthetics.  Only difference whilst playing is that the OFR has slightly wider string spacing than the Pro.
Make certain that the pivot posts are the same width/distance apart on both before ordering.

There are some subtle differences between the OFR and the Schaller, as well as Lo-Pro versions like the Ibanez Edge and Floyd Pro.
The Schaller has a shorter distance from studs to end of fine tuners, which shifts the weight forward towards the neck.
The OFR is slightly longer, moving away from the neck.
The Floyd Pro and Edge type of trems go even further.

The very subtle difference in playability is not noticed during normal use, but in extreme cases when doing the Brad Gillis "Cricket" or "Flutter" effect.  Even though Gillis uses the non fine tuner version, he only uses a couple of springs that I'm aware of, but for those of us using 3 or more springs, I think the Schaller accomplishes the Flutter the least successfully, while the OFR does fine, but the Pro and Edge provide that extra little bit of weight that provides a Flutter with a larger arc, for a longer time.  In fact, regardless of which of these you have, if you do the flutter with the bar pointed away from the neck, the effect increases in arc and time even further, just make sure the bar is tight so it doesn't wobble when you flip it.

Not everyone may notice this, but I've been playing on Floyds for just under 30 years and I've owned all types of them.  These are my findings. Results may differ depending on your playing style, setup, and tone.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
AutoBat said:

There are some subtle differences between the OFR and the Schaller, as well as Lo-Pro versions like the Ibanez Edge and Floyd Pro.
The Schaller has a shorter distance from studs to end of fine tuners, which shifts the weight forward towards the neck.

The very subtle difference in playability is not noticed during normal use, but in extreme cases when doing the Brad Gillis "Cricket" or "Flutter" effect.  Even though Gillis uses the non fine tuner version, he only uses a couple of springs that I'm aware of, but for those of us using 3 or more springs, I think the Schaller accomplishes the Flutter the least successfully, while the OFR does fine, but the Pro and Edge provide that extra little bit of weight that provides a Flutter with a larger arc, for a longer time.  In fact, regardless of which of these you have, if you do the flutter with the bar pointed away from the neck, the effect increases in arc and time even further, just make sure the bar is tight so it doesn't wobble when you flip it.

Not everyone may notice this, but I've been playing on Floyds for just under 30 years and I've owned all types of them.  These are my findings. Results may differ depending on your playing style, setup, and tone.

So according to your findings the Best One is Floyd Rose Pro then Floyd Rose Original and the worst one is the Schaller Floyd.

Another question can the warmoth using recessed Schaller Floyd can be used for Floyd Rose Pro?

Check the dimensions on the two bridges.  Might work, might not.

This is possibly the slowest conversation ever. Started in 2011 and first reply in 2013? Wow!

enb141 said:
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
AutoBat said:

So according to your findings the Best One is Floyd Rose Pro then Floyd Rose Original and the worst one is the Schaller Floyd.

Another question can the warmoth using recessed Schaller Floyd can be used for Floyd Rose Pro?

I'm saying, of the ones I've used (OFR, Schaller, Ibanez versions of Low Pro)  The Schaller flutters the least.  To date, I have never encountered an Original Floyd Rose Pro on any guitar.  They may have them on Floyd's website, but who's making guitars with them as OEM?  You'll almost always find an OFR, Schaller, or Ibanez versions, and on some occasions the Gotoh's, which I have on one guitar.

So when you say "flutters the least" that means "better" to you?

By the way I got another question.

According to what I've found on some sites and even this post, Floyd Rose Pro has a lower string spacing, so I would like to know if schaller has the string spacing of Original Floyd Rose or Floyd Rose Pro?

The string spacing of the Pro is narrower rather than lower.

For the dimensions the best thing to do would be to go to Floyd Rose and Schaller websites and you can find the specs in PDFs usually.

You will probably find Schaller lists measurements in mm and FR in decimal inches. If you use google and type .375" to mm for example you can then do a comparison.

enb141 said:

According to what I've found on some sites and even this post, Floyd Rose Pro has a lower string spacing, so I would like to know if Schaller has the string spacing of Original Floyd Rose or Floyd Rose Pro?

If your desired effect is the Brad Gillis "flutter", in my opinion, the Schaller does it the least.

Wether that is better or not is subjective according to ones desired outcome.

30 years ago when Night Ranger came out with "Don't Tell Me You Love Me", everyone and their mother, including myself, wanted to be able to pull this trick off.  Now, I still see it as a trademark lick of Brad Gillis, so I leave it with him, and try to come up with stuff of my own.

Do all of the mentioned trems perform well and return to zero?
If properly setup, and maintained, then yes, any of them can.
I've been playing the same Gotoh 1996 series Floyd for 18+ years, with only a recent nylon bushing replacement, otherwise still completely stock.  I also toured with an Ibanez RG that had a LOW TRS on it, and it performed flawlessly as well.  Guess why.  Setup & maintenance.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
enb141 said:

According to what I've found on some sites and even this post, Floyd Rose Pro has a lower string spacing, so I would like to know if Schaller has the string spacing of Original Floyd Rose or Floyd Rose Pro?

If your desired effect is the Brad Gillis "flutter", in my opinion, the Schaller does it the least.

Wether that is better or not is subjective according to ones desired outcome.

30 years ago when Night Ranger came out with "Don't Tell Me You Love Me", everyone and their mother, including myself, wanted to be able to pull this trick off.  Now, I still see it as a trademark lick of Brad Gillis, so I leave it with him, and try to come up with stuff of my own.

Do all of the mentioned trems perform well and return to zero?
If properly setup, and maintained, then yes, any of them can.
I've been playing the same Gotoh 1996 series Floyd for 18+ years, with only a recent nylon bushing replacement, otherwise still completely stock.  I also toured with an Ibanez RG that had a LOW TRS on it, and it performed flawlessly as well.  Guess why.  Setup & maintenance.

Thanks for that TonyFlyingSquirrel.

Back