Floyd Rose Nut Prep Questions

Hello,

I was configuring a new neck for use with a Floyd Rose and I had a few questions.

First, why are there separate options in the custom neck builder for "R3 Floyd Prep" and "R4 Floyd Prep?"

According to the spec sheet as seen here:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1711/6239/files/Nut_Spec_Chart_Excel_2019.jpg?v=1570646079
R3 and R4 have identical width and radius, and only differ in string spacing.

If that's the case, what difference would there be for cutting a shelf for an R3 vs. R4 nut?

Second, would it make a difference if I wanted to use a nut with a different radius than the standard 10? It's my understanding that the shelf is flat, and the bottom of the locking nut is flat, and the radius is made from the depth of the string slots. If this is the case the shelf prep should not matter to the nut radius I want to install, correct?

Thanks for any input.

The differences between the R3 and R4 nut preps are:

• The location of the mounting bolts is slightly different, because the difference in string spacing dictates it.
  • The difference in string spacing (or more precisely, the overall string span) means that the shelves for each nut must be slightly different depths for proper string height/action. Specifically, on the R3 nut the outermost strings are further in from the edges of the fretboard. This means the nut shelf has to be slightly lower to achieve the same string height as an R4.
As for the second part of your post, all FR nuts that Warmoth does the prep for now use 10" radius, so there is that. It's pretty much impossible to use/find a nut with a different radius. But yes, the radius is determined by the depth of the string slots on the top of the nut. The bottom of all the nuts is flat.

The Aaron said:
The differences between the R3 and R4 nut preps are:

• The location of the mounting bolts is slightly different, because the difference in string spacing dictates it.
  • The difference in string spacing (or more precisely, the overall string span) means that the shelves for each nut must be slightly different depths for proper string height/action. Specifically, on the R3 nut the outermost strings are further in from the edges of the fretboard. This means the nut shelf has to be slightly lower to achieve the same string height as an R4.
As for the second part of your post, all FR nuts that Warmoth does the prep for now use 10" radius, so there is that. It's pretty much impossible to use/find a nut with a different radius. But yes, the radius is determined by the depth of the string slots on the top of the nut. The bottom of all the nuts is flat.

Ah, so the depth of the shelf is different. That is helpful, thank you.

I was planning on using a 1000 Series/Special Locking Nut, as is available here:
https://floydrose.com/collections/parts/products/1000-series-special-locking-nut-2?variant=31372833357933

I understand you don't guarantee compatibility with anything you don't sell, but according to the spec chart on the website, found here:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1711/6239/files/FR_Special_1K_Locking_Nuts_2048x2048.jpg?v=1535728800
every measurement of the "Original" R3 vs. the "1000" R3 is identical, save for the 12" radius as opposed to 10".
Can you think of any reason why using a "1000" R3 wouldn't work well with a Warmoth neck prepped for an R3?

The way I see it, it would work better this way for a 12"-16" compound radius, seeing as the nut radius would be closer to that of the 1st fret.

Thanks again!

A couple things:

The difference between 10" and 12" at the nut is so small it's hardly perceptible. I've been putting FR nuts on straight 12" fretboards forever, and it's no big thing. It's one of those things that while it may be incorrect in theory, it's inconsequential IRL.

Also, FR is notorious for posting incorrect specs. For example, for years the spec table they posted showed the Original series R3 nut had a 12" radius, while all the others had 10". Nobody knew or understood why....but it was right there in their specs. Then one day they found what I'm assuming was a mistake and changed it to 10", with no explanation.

I'd be willing to bet the 1000 series parts are all exactly the same as the Original series parts.

The Aaron said:
A couple things:

The difference between 10" and 12" at the nut is so small it's hardly perceptible. I've been putting FR nuts of straight 12" fretboards forever, and it's no big thing. It's one of those things that while it may be incorrect theory, it's inconsequential IRL.

Also, FR is notorious for posting incorrect specs. For example, for years the spec table they posted showed the Original series R3 nut had a 12" radius, while all the others had 10". Nobody knew or understood why....but it was right there in their specs. Then one day they found what I'm assuming was a mistake and changed it to 10", with no explanation.

I'd be willing to bet the 1000 series parts are all exactly the same as the Original series parts.

Interesting, that's kind of concerning that their specs can't be trusted. I'd be interested if someone could check with a radius gauge. I'll probably just try the 1000 one and check with my local luthier.

I concede that I probably wouldn't really tell the difference, but it would still bug me knowing that I might conceivably be able to get my action the tiniest bit lower but am being held back. I feel like if people are allowed to get wacky obsessing over tone woods I'm allowed to be a little anal about the actual geometry the strings follow.  :icon_tongue:

Thanks again Aaron.

stinkerton agent said:
Interesting, that's kind of concerning that their specs can't be trusted.

I wouldn't characterize them as "can't be trusted". Floyd Rose is a solid company, and Warmoth has a long history with them....going back 40 years to when both companies started. I love their products. If one of my guitars has a trem on it, you can bet it's a Floyd.

I think the real takeaway for this conversation is that they posted 12" radius in the specs for a long time, and out of the (probably) tens of thousands of Floyd's that were sold and installed in that time, guess how many people noticed it was actually 10".

Back