Floyd Rose -- Differences?...

T.L.

I want a recessed Floyd Rose on my Warmoth build. The question is; do I want an Original Floyd, or a Schaller Floyd?  What are the differences?
My ESP has an Original Floyd Rose, and I like it just fine, but since I'm taking the trouble to build a custom guitar, I want whichever is going to be the best of the two.

What can you guys tell me?...

As long as it's not those cheap chinese floyd rose copies you're fine. You know, OFR, Schaller, or gotoh. If you see a floyd rose for under 120 be suspicious.

Here are the details.

Firstly, I'd love to try a Gotoh Floyd, as I have heard good things about them.  However, the tone blocks only come in 41mm, which is too long for a recessed Floyd.

I have both Schaller and Floyd Floyds.  The Schaller base plate is cast, whereas the OFR is stainless steel.  The Schaller does have replacable stainless knife edges and stud inserts, but I prefer a floyd for these things, as no inserts or additions are necessary.  Finally, the Schaller is a bit warmer than the OFR, since the cast base plate absorbs a bit more harmonics.

That said, I prefer the OFR, if available.

I'd rather have an OFR or a Gotoh licensed FR. The Schaller has a much thicker ridge plate but much thinner fulcrum point. Maybe some people prefer that, but I am not one of them. The original Floyd has always been my preference over the Schaller. The Schaller's not a bad bridge, I just don't care for it.

If you're going to have the recess, I strongly recommend the Schaller Sure Claw; it replaces the simple claw spring holder with a mechanism for adjusting spring tension. It makes setup and tweaking a LOT easier.

The Gotoh bridge has a few of those (rather uniquely Japanese) subtle changes that are significant improvements; the saddle tops are slightly rounded, making them really comfortable. The arm retainer is smooth and adjustable. The block has screws that will hold the springs in, which is most useful during setup as opposed to use, but is still a really useful thing.

I have a Gotoh on a recessed Warmoth strat body and I have no problem with the size of it. However, I do prefer my bridge plates above the body rather than flush with it; I had that body machined for the non-recessed Floyd neck pocket.

I'm a big fan of the Ibanez Lo Pro Edge, if you can find one.  They stopped making them five or six years ago, unfortunately.  I don't know if they fit in a regular Floyd route though.

I've had both ...

the schaller has the sting clamp allen screw-heads tucked in under the micro-tuners . . . MUCH nicer, tighter looking ! ! !

one advantage is the ability to pull the whammy bar BACKWARDS without the screwheads gouging the face of your guitar !

and I believe it's lighter in weight as well.

kreig said:
I've had both ...

the schaller has the sting clamp allen screw-heads tucked in under the micro-tuners . . . MUCH nicer, tighter looking ! ! !

one advantage is the ability to pull the whammy bar BACKWARDS without the screwheads gouging the face of your guitar !

and I believe it's lighter in weight as well.
Although there are many versions, I agree with Doc. i do like the OFR's better. However I am also partial to the Schaller's of which Jackson uses. Also the new fastloaders of which I have 2. And a little insight for you kreig when it comes to Floyds heavier is better.

Back