flamed spalt maple tele

Steiger

Hey everyone,

Long time lurker, only posted a few times...

Ive ordered a flamed spalt maple tele body with a mahogany back and some bill lawrence keystone pickups. I would prefer the body to be rear routed but hey im more than happy with what ive got!

Still deciding on what neck to order, im thinking a dark wood like wenge, rosewood or pau ferro will match up with this body nicely

Just thought id share this with as im real excited to build this.

The body will be getting a clear coat of some sort, and I intend to use all black hardware

Attachments

• $_3 (7).JPG
    $_3 (7).JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 46
  • $_3 (8).JPG
    $_3 (8).JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 13
  • $_3 (6).JPG
    $_3 (6).JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 16
  • $_3 (2).JPG
    $_3 (2).JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 30
That's a very attractive body. I'm not normally a huge fan of spalt, but I'd take that one any day.

As for the neck, I'm not sure I'd go dark woods. I think I'd do something a little lighter for the neck meat to add contrast, and non-descript on the fretboard. For instance, Ebony over Canary would be great. You don't want to draw the eye away from that body. Some big, fat stainless frets, and you're there.

Very nice example of spalt you have there.  One tip is make sure you use some epoxy on the spalt.  It is some super soft stuff.  The epoxy will help protect the wood from dings. 

I know myself and Dolando have experience finishing spalt.  Feel free to reach out.

Thanks for the advice and feedback guys, I like cageys suggestion of something like ebony on canary for the neck.

Ive been doing some research on stabilizing spalt, some have suggested using thinned ca glue and others minwax wood hardener to sort out the 'punky' wood.

What epoxy did you use dmraco?

I havent received the body yet. Its being delivered from quebec to sydney aus via surface mail so the eta is 6-30 business days!!! Surface mail was the only option too! Its already been about 10 business days since purchase and the tracking has it at vancouver.... i find myself tracking the parcel at regular intervals  :laughing7:

Stunning body! I always love a good spalted top.

As for the neck, I'd recommend Goncalo for the neck wood paired with pretty much any darker-colored fretboard. But stainless frets are definitely a must!

Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Steiger said:
What epoxy did you use dmraco?

Zpoxy finishing resin.  Much easier than CA glue.

Here is my build thread.  Page 4 starts the z poxy discussion

I recognize spaltkings handy work here. Don't know where they are getting it but they have some amazing spalted maple. Be very careful though. My build was going to be with the body pictured below but it is now in a box in the garage because I didn't do my research on how to sand/finish/handle spalted maple and ruined it. Live and learn. Good luck to you sir.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    786.2 KB · Views: 48
Stuart973 said:
I recognize spaltkings handy work here. Don't know where they are getting it but they have some amazing spalted maple. Be very careful though. My build was going to be with the body pictured below but it is now in a box in the garage because I didn't do my research on how to sand/finish/handle spalted maple and ruined it. Live and learn. Good luck to you sir.

What happened??  Never throw anything away!!  We can rebuild.  I would love to see what you have

Wow that is an amazing piece of maple. Surely whatever has happened can be recovered?!!?!

Stuart973 said:

So she finally arrived, and now the fun really begins!

The maple top is well sanded but the mahogany bottom has a few rough bits that need to be sorted out.

The goal at this stage Is getting some epoxy onto the maple to ensure its integrity and grain filling the mahogany

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
Very nice, spalted tele's rule...And I do think a dark wood will work nicely with spalted maple...Sorry Cagey..
DejaVooDoo-4.jpg

DejaVooDoo-3.jpg

DangerousR6 said:
Very nice, spalted tele's rule...And I do think a dark wood will work nicely with spalted maple...Sorry Cagey..
DejaVooDoo-4.jpg

DejaVooDoo-3.jpg

I love the flame on your Tele R6, that's a great loooking guitar.

I've applied about 4 coats of Danish Oil on it now and it's starting to get some sheen now. This is a photo of the 3rd coat

10513713_293278927518298_937345913_n.jpg

That thing is gonna be real showpiece! Won't be able to take it out of the house. People won't wait until you're not looking, they'll just smack you and take it.

Phaedrus said:
Man that is beautyful. The oil really adds to the wood's definition. Love it!
yes it does, but problem with the oil is it doesn't protect the wood. It needs to be covered in a hard finish like polyurethane. I covered mine with epoxy, it'll last longer than the wood... :laughing7:

Sooo today is new neck day!

Here is a couple  of pics of the neck and the body saying hello to each other for the first time in what looks to be a long relationship

Attachments

• 20140725_190642.jpg
    20140725_190642.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 20140725_190740.jpg
    20140725_190740.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20140725_190750.jpg
    20140725_190750.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
Back