Fitting a piezo

christ462000

Hi all
I am new to building my own Strat,can someone tell me if its easy to fit a piezo and if so can someone help me with some tutorials.The pickups on my strat will be ssh :guitarplayer2:
Thank's

Check out the Graphtech Ghost system. I presume you're just after the Acoustiphonic preamp.  (I don't recommend piezo for MIDI these days simply because of the lack of supporting systems for it)

Depends what you want to do. The Graphtech "Ghost" system is a more traditional piezo pickup system that replaces the string saddles on your bridge, then runs all six pickups into a summing amp that you can either mix with your magnetics or send out on its own for further processing.
james.jpg
pk-0240-00-a.jpg
Lotsa options there, so you may want to review them at the Graphtech site. It's a ways down the list as far as ease of installation goes, but it's a good system that's highly regarded. Probably better for analog work, though. If you want your Strat to sound like an acoustic, this is probably the way to go. You'll still need some post-processing, but mainly to get the signal to sound good. Piezos on their own on an electric guitar are pretty disappointing.

If your intention is to get MIDI out of your guitar, then for a much easier installation,  outstanding performance and an overall system that's more user-friendly, Fishman now has what they call their "Triple Play"...
vendorimages2396_medium._CB351002703_.jpg
This is a fantastic system that I just can't say enough good things about. Nothing else can touch this. Latency is so short it borders on non-existent, which is unusual even among historically "better" systems. I mean, it's so fast it'll track bends and vibrato. Accuracy/sensitivity is spooky good. It'll let you do string splits (kinda like keyboard splits), and it's polyphonic so chords are no problem. It's wireless up to 100'. Since you're getting MIDI out, it opens up the entire world of sounds for you. Wanna play drums or trumpet or bass? No problem. Well, lotsa problems, but not from the equipment. Simply having an instrument that will make drum sounds will not make you a drummer - believe me, I've tried  :laughing7:

After much research, I set up one of my Jazzmasters with both systems.

Ksqj4wU.jpg

Properly installed, the Ghost system lives up to its name - if you don't know what you're looking for, it's all but invisible. It was a real pain in the shorts to install, but it's arguably better if you just want to play acoustic on your electric. on its own, it sounds sorta like a weak single coil with unusual edges so you'll need some sort of post-processing like a modeler or something to get it to actually sound like an acoustic, but once you're there, you're there.

The Triple Play is super-easy to install, and is so much fun you should have one just for the hell of it. Anyone who's ever wanted an analog-to-MIDI converter, this is thing to use. It's not like anything else out there - it actually works, and works well. Ever wanted to play "Highway Star", but didn't have a keyboard player on the other side of the stage with all the big ol' Hammonds you need? This is the widget that'll bring that home for you.

Here's one installed on a Strat...

vendorimages2481_medium._CB351003482_.jpg

Hey!  Thanks for posting that MIDI system!  I had a MIDI guitar for arranging and stuff for awhile (a Godin), but it just didn't track well.  If this is better - I'm in!!  I just happen to have a spare telecaster or two kicking around to install it in. 

I feel a new toy coming on.  Just in time for Christmas!

You'll love it. Easy to install, easy to use, and does what all the analog to MIDI converter systems have been promising all along but didn't really deliver.

Something else just occurred to me that I hadn't considered before, but I'll bet it would work great for transcription.

you will love the piezo but only played thru a dedicated acoustic amp as normal guitars amps won't get you that acoustic sound you desire.  i just completed building a guitar with both mag p'ups and a ghost resomax wraparound piezo bridge.  i opted for a different wiring plan that works for my situation.  it's the acoustiphonic system not the midi.  they compliment each other in the assembly so you can add either at a later date with minimal effort.  the graphtech customer service was excellent as i had first received a bad preamp board but it was quickly diagnosed and replaced.  plus my wiring plan required the tech to walk us thru the assembly due to the tricky wiring dealio.  you can see the finished rig here: http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=28733.0

Quick demonstration how the GraphTech Acoustiphonic sounds like through my AxeFX2, no extra processing used. My new Copperhead Soloist used here of course  :toothy10:

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/macegtr/copperhead-ac-gtr[/soundcloud]

Great sound you dialled in.
Sounds a little like a mix between a steel string and a nylon guitar. Awesome.
And awesome playing as well :icon_thumright:

Logrinn said:
Great sound you dialled in.
Sounds a little like a mix between a steel string and a nylon guitar. Awesome.
And awesome playing as well :icon_thumright:

Thanks my swedish neighbour  :eek:ccasion14:

Thanks stratamania. Here is the patch:

1zgb0cn.jpg

This is a good example, how the stereo output of guitar (magnetic and piezo) is outputted to AxeFXII for further prosessing. The stereo cable is splitted to two different mono inputs for AxeFX. The lower signal path is for this acoustic sound, going through Tube Preamp-simulation, a Taylor IR and some reverb. The thing here is the Taylor IR, which is captured from a real Taylor 314CE, giving some additional body to the piezo sound. Not captured by me, it is distributed as a free IR.

Just by toggling the selection switch on guitar I can get a sound from these two different sound paths separately or mix them.

That's a pretty killer setup there!!.  I wonder if I can do that with my AX8...

No. The Axe 8 only allows one instance of a device per preset (amps, cabs, effects, etc.)

Mayfly said:
That's a pretty killer setup there!!.  I wonder if I can do that with my AX8...

Might be possible. To my knowledge there is little bit less CPU power in AX8, also the second input jack is removed. But in theory you could use the FX-input of AX8-for this piezo stuff as it is already buffered. As you can see from the screenshot, in this patch the CPU-usage is 79%, still fine in AxeFXII but could jump in AX8 too much. But for example the chorus-block, which is not in use all the time for (blended in with a pedal, whenever needed), will save many CPU-cycles, if removed.

It's one of the few differences between the devices. I suspect it's only a real problem for those who use complex presets with scene changes to switch effects/amps/cabs on and off for sound changes during a tune rather than switching to another preset. As you know, there's some latency involved with preset changes that essentially doesn't exist for scene changes. Of course, if you're trying to mix sounds by using two of something simultaneously, then you're out of luck.

Back