Fitting a Freeway 10-way switch into a Tele?

cromulent

I'm doing a Nashville Tele build (ie, with a middle strat pickup), and want to use the Freeway 10-way switch (https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/components-and-parts/switches/free-way-5-way-10-position-pickup-switch/) to get some extra tones.  However, I didn't realize how precious little room there is under the standard Tele control plate.  Anyone else run into this issue?  I really don't want to dremel if I can avoid it.  Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 10-way.jpg
    10-way.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 61
Could you live with using smaller size pots? (at least for the tone pot?) The smaller circumference might allow things to fit....?

What about this control plate?  https://rockrabbitguitars.com/shop/supercharger-telecaster-control-plate/

Spud said:
Could you live with using smaller size pots? (at least for the tone pot?) The smaller circumference might allow things to fit....?

I'm open to anything but am completely new to this.  What would you recommend?  (And thanks!)

index.php

I had that with another switch and  hit it with a dremel.  No problem. Look at the Nashville Tele build in my Sig.  You just need a steady hand otherwise you'll be crying.  I recommend you solder as much of the switch as you can without connecting the pickup leads.  That way you'll see how much to dremel and if it's worth it.

That's a pretty body, any more pics?

aye yai yai, that's a spicy meatball! or as homer simpson would say "i caramba"

i think guitar fetish sells cheap blank Tele 'trol (short for control) plates, if ur feeling frisky enough to drill out

I don’t think smaller pots are going to help.  The switch goes where the screw holes and switch opening are.  The position of these won’t change, regardless of the size of the pots.  The above-linked control plate with the switch placed in the middle would seem to be your best alternative to getting out the Dremel or router.  It does appear to be a very clever solution to a common problem.

Bill, tgo

It doesn't look like anything that a chisel could not handle. It just needs a little wood easing away to allow the switch to clear. The benefit of a chisel is that being a hand tool it can be easier to control and pare away only what is needed.

BroccoliRob said:
aye yai yai, that's a spicy meatball! or as homer simpson would say "i caramba"

i think guitar fetish sells cheap blank Tele 'trol (short for control) plates, if ur feeling frisky enough to drill out

This is where I was heading. A blank Made-in-PRC control plate is a lot cheaper than a Warmoth body by a couple orders of magnitude.  Smaller pots plus custom-located holes'n'slots might get you there without having to do minor surgery on the guitar body.

Lbpesq said:
I don’t think smaller pots are going to help.  The switch goes where the screw holes and switch opening are.  The position of these won’t change, regardless of the size of the pots.  The above-linked control plate with the switch placed in the middle would seem to be your best alternative to getting out the Dremel or router.  It does appear to be a very clever solution to a common problem.

Bill, tgo

I agree however, if modifying the cavity is out of the question, and drilling a custom tele plate isn't in the cards, you probably could cheat the control plate into place, partially plug the existing screw hole if necessary, if the back pot was smaller. Just saying, some times the most "elegant" solution isn't the best for everyone.

cromulent said:
What about this control plate?  https://rockrabbitguitars.com/shop/supercharger-telecaster-control-plate/
I had Rock Rabbit do a custom tele control plate for me with the normal controls and two slider switches mounted on an angle. He worked hard to make it all work out. I recommend him any chance I get.

Back