First Warmth Neck- Roasted Maple or Vintage Nitro?

RLA

Greetings, new guy here...

Trying to decide between Roasted Flame Maple (2 piece Modern) no finish, or

3A Birdseye Maple (2 piece Modern) Vintage Nitro...

Can't do one of each at this time.  (I wish!)

It will go on a Squire CV 50's Strat that has otherwise been decently modded.

Thank You!

I'd go with Roasted Maple because i love to play raw wood, i.e. unfinished/speed necks and the looks of darker wood. But it's really up to your preferences - mostly aesthetics + playability.

I'd go with Vintage Nitro, because I don't like playing raw necks.

And there you have it.....your problem has been completely solved in two posts!

I would go with roasted maple. IT is cheaper more stable and you wont have to get nitro off the frets.

The Aaron said:
I'd go with Vintage Nitro, because I don't like playing raw necks.

And there you have it.....your problem has been completely solved in two posts!

I guess we can throw this one into the done pile. Double neck it is.

Thank you for your replies, input and humor!

Aaron, thank you for your timely video today, too!

I'm going to scratch my head about it a little longer and post once I place the order.

Thank you and peace!

I'm of course very excited.  I'm sure you know the feeling!

I'll look forward to the other flavor next time :cool01:

I came quite close to going with the vintage nitro-birdseye because of your comment Aaron!

Thanks ya'll!

CUSTOMNECK
Serial Number: CN52906
Style: Stratocaster®
Construction: Modern Construction
Scale: 25-1/2"
Orientation: Right Handed
Neck Wood: Roasted Flame Maple
Fingerboard Wood: Roasted Flame Maple
Nut Width: 1-5/8"
Back Shape: Wizard
Fret Size: SS6230 (Stainless)
Tuner Ream: Schaller (25/64")
Radius: 10-16" Compound
Fret #: 21
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Inlays: Black Face Dots
Side Dots: Black Side Dots
String Nut: GraphTech White TUSQ XL - Standard Nut $32.00
Finish: No Finish

It is an unusual choice to have the vintage fret size on a neck with modern compound fretboard radius. 

Most guitars with flatter fretboards use bigger frets.  I'm not a fan of vintage fret size, but I wonder if there is a reason for this.

JohnnyHardtail said:
It is an unusual choice to have the vintage fret size on a neck with modern compound fretboard radius. 

Most guitars with flatter fretboards use bigger frets.  I'm not a fan of vintage fret size, but I wonder if there is a reason for this.

I do some finger sliding on strings while pressed down and I find the taller frets on my other guitars a bit uncomfortable while doing this, so this is more or less an experiment and calculated risk for me. I don't own any guitars with vintage frets and I thought I may enjoy them.  I'll see...

I love my Roasted Maple necks and probably won't use anything else as a neck wood again. But there is one thing to consider when using it as the fretboard material: the black side dots get lost on darkened stages. I've found that I have to lean a bit around to see the fretboard dots with that guitar. It's not a terrible problem and it's easily overcome, but it is something to consider.

RLA said:
Greetings, new guy here...

Trying to decide between Roasted Flame Maple (2 piece Modern) no finish, or

3A Birdseye Maple (2 piece Modern) Vintage Nitro...

Can't do one of each at this time.  (I wish!)

It will go on a Squire CV 50's Strat that has otherwise been decently modded.

Thank You!

I think one way of looking at it is, are you going to be doing work to the neck (recontouring, burnishing, etc)?  If so, consider an unfinished neck.  Otherwise, get what you like the look of.

rauchman said:
I think one way of looking at it is, are you going to be doing work to the neck (recontouring, burnishing, etc)?  If so, consider an unfinished neck.  Otherwise, get what you like the look of.

That was the major factor in my decision.  I decided that having roasted, unfinished wood would be the most satisfying for me.  I'm going to burnish the heck out of it and make it glassy.

Ideally, I wish Warmth offered roasted 3A birdseye!

Roasted with a Tru-Oil finish.
I hate nitro, and there is no logical reason to ever use it for a guitar finish. It's not gonna turn your new guitar into a "vintage" guitar.

Street Avenger said:
I hate nitro, and there is no logical reason to ever use it for a guitar finish.

Logic has little to do with most of our preferences on guitar aesthetics.

And after 40 years it just might be vintage.

The only way to know if you'll like it, is to try it.  Between the two necks, I say go with whatever provides the most eye candy, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  The one you picked will be excellent, burnish the heck out of it.

Back