first Warmoth build

Rob

Hi all. My Warmoth body was delivered today. I've built a few guitars years ago and this is my first Warmoth project.
It's a unfinished basswood strat body. (sorry to all the basswood haters) This should be fun.
Right from the start, I did screw up. I should have indicated that I was using Fender hot noiseless pu's. It looks like I'll have to break out a router or drem for the bridge pu rout. It's not deep enough. Hopefully, I won't blow through the trem cavity.
Here's a pic.

Attachments

• Warmoth basswood body.JPG
    Warmoth basswood body.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 551
Welcome to the forum. Basswoods ok with me.

What else do you have planned for the guitar ?

You might also want to consider using photobucket or Flickr to host your photos and then they are easier to see in the thread.

Rob said:
It's a unfinished basswood strat body. (sorry to all the basswood haters)

No apology will EVER satisfy our eternal hatred for that most accursed of woods!

:icon_jokercolor:

Joking aside: what's your plan for finishing?  Basswood can sound fantastic, but finishes need to be firm stuff in order to stave off dings & dents & slings & arrows.

Rob said:
Right from the start, I did screw up. I should have indicated that I was using Fender hot noiseless pu's. It looks like I'll have to break out a router or drem for the bridge pu rout. It's not deep enough. Hopefully, I won't blow through the trem cavity.

Go slowly!  Do a pass that's shallower than you think you need, then test fit before going for another!  If it's only 1 cavity, try the dremel first.

Thanks for the replies.
I plan to keep it simple. This will be used for home recording only so I'm not looking for a show piece just a functional tool that looks decent and works well.
I'll be painting it an off-white color with primer & rustoleum enamel. I was going to use a kramer neck from an existing frankenstein but now I think I'll probably order a Warmoth quartersawn neck. They appear to be high quality.
Yes, I agree. I'll try the dremel first and go nice and easy.
Thanks again for the support. I appreciate it.
Rob

I had to play with a basswood body once. Then, my dad got a job...

EVH seems to love basswood.  All his guitars, even the expensive ones are made from it

I love my basswood bass. Really great woody tone. It is soft, and I foolishly stripped off a nice arctic white finish to recoat it in lacquer, but the tone is fantastic

Back