First Tele Build

Paul4Guns

And we're off to a catastrophic start!

After receiving all my parts, I started installing the string ferrules.

The soldering iron method was less than stellar. It might have worked had I cleaned up the ferrule drill hole a bit.

I moved on the the whack-a-mole method. Carefully... ever so carefully... I tapped them in one by one. But upon inspection, the finish around some of the ferrules cracked and subsequently flaked off.

There was no sense in leaving the ferrules in so I pulled them out by screwing a 3" deck screw into them, clamping on a vice grips, and gently tapping up on the vice grips.

So this is where I'm at. The options I've considered are (a) leave it (not really an option for me, it would drive me nuts!) (b) repair the existing finish, if possible (c) route around the area and install a "tone bar" (d) use a heat gun and scraper to carefully remove the Warmoth poly finish and start over with my own finish (dyed wood + clear nitro?)  (e) torch it, offering it up as an expensive sacrifice to the guitar gods.

I'm looking for some experience here. Not sure which way to go.

Doh! I might touch it up with a red sharpie and call it a learning experience. When I messed up the alignment of the ferrule holes in the guitar I made I recessed a small cover over them. Looked okay but made string changes less convenient. Also requires a router and subjects your finish to further risk. See a photo in the red guitar thread currently at the top of the "misc" category. However you deal with this, good luck!

WF

misery-kb.jpg

Well, isn't that an oogie mess?

I can't see refinishing it just for that. That's a helluva lotta work. Those poly finishes are on there, but good. Stripping them off is no fun at all. I think I'd buy another body before I went through that much rigmarole. Which, incidentally, is not a terrible idea. I'm sure that flaw wouldn't bother somebody else as much as it does you, so you could put it on eBay and cut your losses that way. Defray the cost of a replacement. Or, just eat it and smile. Chances are pretty good that there will be other chips/dings/flaws as time goes on. Or, do like WF says, and touch it up with a red Sharpie. Still be a blemish, but it wouldn't be glaring. It's on the back, anyway.

Texas Customs has a body ferrule plate that is pretty sexy. It's a fairly easy install, it covers up the routed edge just in case the finish gets chippy.

That's a helluva solution! I bookmarked that one. Bound to come in handy again some day.

pabloman said:
Texas Customs has a body ferrule plate that is pretty sexy. It's a fairly easy install, it covers up the routed edge just in case the finish gets chippy.

:glasses9:

Back