First Build - The Angry Tele

patracles

I can't wait to build this thing! Hopefully one more month and these parts will all have a new home :headbang4:

MhfvJPbh.jpg

So far we have...

-Bare Knuckle Ragnarok set with surrounds, 550k pots (push-pull tone), PIO cap
-Hipshot open griplock tuners
-Hipshot fixed bridge (original strat mount with modern string spacing)

To be continued...

stratamania said:
Looks like you have some nice parts ready. Though why is it angry?

Maybe aggressive is a better word, I'm going for a modern metal aesthetic but while retaining some classic tele vibes. Now here's hoping I specced everything correctly! My only immediate concern is the combination of carved lam top and 24-fret board extension.

patracles said:
My only immediate concern is the combination of carved lam top and 24-fret board extension.

There should be zero issue there. Are you worried the extension will interfere with the laminate? It should be the exact same dimension as a painted body. Now as for pickguard interference, YMMV by pickguard maker etc.

patracles said:
stratamania said:
Looks like you have some nice parts ready. Though why is it angry?

Maybe aggressive is a better word, I'm going for a modern metal aesthetic but while retaining some classic tele vibes. Now here's hoping I specced everything correctly! My only immediate concern is the combination of carved lam top and 24-fret board extension.

Okay I see. I look forward to your aggressive tele build coming together in a calm successful manner  :icon_thumright:

BeagJon said:
patracles said:
My only immediate concern is the combination of carved lam top and 24-fret board extension.

There should be zero issue there. Are you worried the extension will interfere with the laminate? It should be the exact same dimension as a painted body. Now as for pickguard interference, YMMV by pickguard maker etc.

I guess the angled pocket of the carved top and the extra long fretboard extension sticking out proud would be my first concern

BeagJon said:
patracles said:

I was originally worried about interference with the laminate until reading about the dimensions like you said (think carved down normal telecaster body). Now I'm worried about the opposite, that the loss of material by carving will lead to a bigger gap between the body and fretboard extension. I opted not to 720 mod, I did get the neck pickup reposition obviously. My current guitar (Jackson dinky) has about a 3.5mm gap but the overhang is only .5 inches or so.

elstoof said:
BeagJon said:
patracles said:

I guess the angled pocket of the carved top and the extra long fretboard extension sticking out proud would be my first concern

I didn't go with a TOM bridge so the angled pocked wasn't required. Still going to be sticking out proud I would wager

patracles said:
BeagJon said:
patracles said:

I was originally worried about interference with the laminate until reading about the dimensions like you said (think carved down normal telecaster body). Now I'm worried about the opposite, that the loss of material by carving will lead to a bigger gap between the body and fretboard extension. I opted not to 720 mod, I did get the neck pickup reposition obviously. My current guitar (Jackson dinky) has about a 3.5mm gap but the overhang is only .5 inches or so.

Well I'm a bass guy so you're gonna lose me on some of this. I would have assumed the carved top would mean the area in the middle of the body would be TALLER than a regular tele... but now i'm thinking you should just get someone on the phone at warmoth who answers this several times a day.

It won’t be the centre that’s higher, easier to think of it as the sides that are lower

elstoof said:
It won’t be the centre that’s higher, easier to think of it as the sides that are lower

Well then to encourage OP, that's not necessarily a bad thing. a little fretboard overhang is nbd imo. After all, i'm used to damn near a foot of overhang on my upright.

patracles said:
I didn't go with a TOM bridge so the angled pocked wasn't required. Still going to be sticking out proud I would wager

Before deciding on the 720 mod I thought about the gap on mine, my plan was to fashion some sort of shim to fill the gap out of copper or something else pretty like a contrasting wood and glue to the underside of the fretboard

Getting antsy so I wired up the pots as far as I could according to Bare Knuckle's two-humbucker push-pull coil split diagram. Found some telecaster dimensions to get the knob spacing right, hopefully I gave myself enough margin for error.

EI3X3Zxh.jpg

patracles said:
Getting antsy so I wired up the pots as far as I could according to Bare Knuckle's two-humbucker push-pull coil split diagram. Found some telecaster dimensions to get the knob spacing right, hopefully I gave myself enough margin for error.

EI3X3Zxh.jpg

Some questions if you don't mind....

Is 550k pots a typo?  I've only seen 250k, 300k, 500k or 1meg pots.  I'd be curious to know if other pot values are available
On your push / pull, I see you have a jumper across 1 & 2.  What is that for?  I'm assuming both humbuckers will be split when the push pull is pulled?
Would you mind providing brief specs on the pups?  Output and magnet type and......how do they sound?

Should be a killer sounding guitar.

rauchman said:
patracles said:

Some questions if you don't mind....

Is 550k pots a typo?  I've only seen 250k, 300k, 500k or 1meg pots.  I'd be curious to know if other pot values are available
On your push / pull, I see you have a jumper across 1 & 2.  What is that for?  I'm assuming both humbuckers will be split when the push pull is pulled?
Would you mind providing brief specs on the pups?  Output and magnet type and......how do they sound?

Should be a killer sounding guitar.

No problem! (Pulled most of this from BKP website)

-Bare Knuckle sells custom pots, for whatever reason they opt for 280k and 550k:
"These pots feature a custom audio taper, smooth torque and +/- 10% tolerance and are specially made for Bare Knuckle by CTS."
-Position: Bridge DC Resistance: 19 kΩ Magnet: Ceramic

-Position: Neck DC Resistance: 15.8 kΩ Magnet: Ceramic

Description: "The Ragnarok is a chunky, fat sounding pickup that’s also devastatingly tight and aggressive; a hot ceramic pickup with a smooth top end and incredible clarity."

I'm excited to move back to passive pickups after playing EMGs for years. As far as the jumper goes (it is 1 and 3 which goes to ground), from what I gather turns off both screw coils leaving only slugs when the knob is pulled up.

Back