first assembly attempt

hank49

Hello all. I've purchased two Warmoth necks, put one on a guitar so far and am really happy with the results. Easy to assemble and they play really nice. I'm kind of a tinkerer, with fishing reels, scuba dive gear, compressor, outboard motors etc etc, so I have a fair mechanical reasoning ability. I'd like to purchase all the components for a guitar and assemble it and was wondering if you experienced veterans have any advice as to which is the trickiest part. Warmoth seems to cut all the pieces to fit really well....so far in my limited experience. Assembly should be a piece of cake??? I understand the physics of the neck and adjustment theory etc.

Will you be finishing it yourself?

for me, it's the wiring..
for others it may be something else..  if you are a tinkerer, don't expect any problems

*** EDIT! **** whoohooo!!!! My 1000st post!!
good reason for a celebration!!  :eek:ccasion14: :headbang1: :rock-on: :cool01: :blob7:

hank49 said:
Hello all. I've purchased two Warmoth necks, put one on a guitar so far and am really happy with the results. Easy to assemble and they play really nice. I'm kind of a tinkerer, with fishing reels, scuba dive gear, compressor, outboard motors etc etc, so I have a fair mechanical reasoning ability. I'd like to purchase all the components for a guitar and assemble it and was wondering if you experienced veterans have any advice as to which is the trickiest part. Warmoth seems to cut all the pieces to fit really well....so far in my limited experience. Assembly should be a piece of cake??? I understand the physics of the neck and adjustment theory etc.
Welcome to the forum, I am in the middle of my first build..

hank49 said:

It sounds like you should have a good start.  Recognize the build may require a little sanding or tweaking here or there to get the guitar to set up the way you want it.  The final setup can make all the difference between a decent instrument and world class.  If you've never done a setup, a little help from your trusted tech would be well worth your time.

Otherwise, get a case of your favorite beverage, a good spot to work, and enjoy!  Remember the rules of plan your work, work your plan and measure twice, cut once.

Sounds killer man!

The hardest part is not to rush the job.  When in doubt...just walk away and think it over.  Your patience will be rewarded.

welcome to the forum!
PDT_orctrinque.gif

The wiring is my Achile's heel too :laughing7:

I'll have Warmoth do all the finishing. That was one mistake I made on my first purchase. My son got the neck and put it on and played it for a few days. He then tried to finish it after....but the area that got oil and acid or whatever from his hand didn't take the finish well. oops;. But all ended well and it plays really nice.
I understand the virtue of patience. I have a small pile of fishing reels that I was real good at taking apart....putting them back though...well...But guitar components look a little less complicated.
I've tinkered with set ups and have followed Fender's string height adjustment and how to but I'm by no means a master at it. Problem is, I live in a very rural area in Belize. There are no guitar techs that I know of.

hank49 said:
Problem is, I live in a very rural area in Belize. There are no guitar techs that I know of.

in that case, make sure to order the Dan Erlewine book on setting up guitars. it's called something like 'how to make your guitar play great'

I think doing the setup will be the trickiest part.  The rest is very simple... screwdrivers and blue tape!!  Sounds like you're a whole lot more mechanically skilled than me, so you'll be fine.

I've done 3 , with 2 more waiting in the wings .
Knowing my comfort level is my guiding light . Less Expensive parts is where to start . I'm more likely to try something on a $300 body , but a $1000 ?
mmmmmmmmmm.
Educate yourself a bit at a time  , your on the net , so ...
There is never a rush to do a build and the journey is Fun .
When you are out of your league , there a lots of guys right here at your disposal , you can pick our brains for all sorts of valuable info . That's the great thing about this place .
Best wishes

Kreig

It sounds like you'll be fine.  I've built 7 Warmoths and for me the most "sphincter tightening" time is drilling on the body for the various components.  As Wyliee said, "plan your work, work your plan, measure twice and cut once." 

Regarding the wiring, there are a multitude of diagrams out there.  Find one that is easy for you to read and just take your time. 

I have built 3, with one more in the wings.  The first 2 I did all the assemble, except wiring and set up.  The 3rd one I did the intire thing.  I was basically intimidated by the wiring aspect of it initially.  But I inveted in a good iron and it wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined.  The final set up was fairly straight forward as  well.  I actually perferred doing it myself, as I knew exactly how I wanted it to be.  These first 3 all had factory finishes by Warmoth.  The build I have in the wings will be a DIY finish.

Overall for me, the most difficult part of the assemble is the wiring, but on a good note...  If it is a bad solder joint, just redo it, where as when you are drilling all the holes, its really a one shot deal.

Bill

Thanks for all the positive feedback.
I'm putting together my guitar order. swamp ash Strat solid body, Fralin blues stack pups, Floyd Rose floating trem, flame maple neck with ebony fretboard, SRV contour, compound radius, jumbo (ss6115) SS frets.
Now to get it past the wife....I already have a Warmoth neck coming for my store bought strat.(modern vintage, compound radius) This is worse than spear fishing and diving...addictive. hah!

I'd say the nut and the frets - more so with a guitar than with a bass.
I'm not sure if this should be consirdered part of setup work or not,
but having the nut set up right and having the frets level and smooth
is a prerequisite for a good setup.

Get the hang of that and you will be the guitar tech in the area.  :party07:

hank49 said:
Problem is, I live in a very rural area in Belize. There are no guitar techs that I know of.

Hey Hank.

Good luck with the build.  I just read that you are in Belize?  Whereabouts are you? 
I work out there occasionally and it'd be great to meet up at some point when I'm over.  I know a couple of guys in Belize City,  I'll ask them if there are any decent guitar / music techs around.

Cheers for now, and like the others said, dont rush, sit back, relax and enjoy it.  Have a Belikin for me.

Jim

ByteFrenzy said:
I'd say the nut and the frets - more so with a guitar than with a bass.
I'm not sure if this should be consirdered part of setup work or not,
but having the nut set up right and having the frets level and smooth
is a prerequisite for a good setup.

Get the hang of that and you will be the guitar tech in the area.  :party07:

I've BUTCHERED a brass nut ! and BUTCHERED a fret install AND a fret dressing !
Seek out some video ,youtube,google. . .or ? Just watching a master do what they master , should give you VOLUMES of needed know-how !
Without it, I was driving while blind !
And come back here to ask questions if a procedure is still unclear !

Jimh, I live near Dangriga. About 6 miles up the Coastal Rd on a shirmp farm. I've lived in San Pedro and back off the Placencia Lagoon too. Been from the Mexican town of Xchalac down to Puerto Barrios, Guatemala by boat. I have a boat and dive gear, tanks and compressor....spearguns, poles...we're out there dude.  :icon_biggrin: And some guitar pickin after the dive.
If you get down this way, call Paradise Shrimp Farms. 520 2012. Ask for Hank.

Hi, my name is Mark Stockwell, and I'm a repairman that lives near the Warmoth factory.  I wonder if they would allow me to assemble a guitar for a client like you before shipment!?  It does sound like you are wanting the task for yourself...as it is rewarding.  And I'm just throwing 'what-ifs'.  I am curios if they would be up for that.

stockwellguitars@aol.com

Mark

StockwellGuitars said:
Hi, my name is Mark Stockwell, and I'm a repairman that lives near the Warmoth factory.  I wonder if they would allow me to assemble a guitar for a client like you before shipment!?  It does sound like you are wanting the task for yourself...as it is rewarding.  And I'm just throwing 'what-ifs'.  I am curios if they would be up for that.

stockwellguitars@aol.com

Mark

Sorry, Warmoth only sells and ships replacement parts.  Anyone wanting to hire a tech for assembly would need to have the parts shipped to the tech who would accept all responsibility for the parts.  What happens after that point would be between the tech and customer.

Back