Firebird-style raised mid section? (Extreme GAS)

xParallax

Hey all,  :cool01:

Before I've even received my first Warmoth order, I'm already planning my next haha! Recently saw somebody (can't find a reference) who'd done a Tele shaped guitar with the stylistic features of a Firebird, and I fell in love. Hard.

This included the raised central section (where the neck-thru would originally go on the 'Play Authentic' version). Just wondering, does anyone know whether Warmoth would offer to shave off the 1/8" (ish) off the two 'wings' of a standard telecaster body shape, so that I could get this mid-hump effect?

All the rest should be straight-forward, but I really want it all finished in a goldtop colour by Warmoth, because I love their complete package. Not looking to do any finishing myself, and I want a Warmoth bolt-on neck.

Thanks!
Rhys

Just wondering, does anyone know whether Warmoth would offer to shave off the 1/8" (ish) off the two 'wings' of a standard telecaster body shape, so that I could get this mid-hump effect?

Really only one way to find out,  253-845-0403 - Warmoths phone number. :icon_thumright:

PhilHill said:
Just wondering, does anyone know whether Warmoth would offer to shave off the 1/8" (ish) off the two 'wings' of a standard telecaster body shape, so that I could get this mid-hump effect?

Really only one way to find out,  253-845-0403 - Warmoths phone number. :icon_thumright:

Thank you! I'm in the UK so I'll email! Just wanted to see if anyone had any prior experience before I bug Warmoth with another pointless question haha!

Rgand said:

Thank you for your input! Really love the carved top Teles, but for this particular idea, I really want the harsh ridge, and also need a flat top to fit the scratchplate to the lower horn a-la Cabronita to try and imitate a Firebird!

Thanks all!

I believe the Tele-shaped, raised center, Firebird-featured guitar to which you referred is the Gene Baker 'Phoenix'.
That is indeed a unique and very cool guitar... 

Greg Koch’s signature Reverend, the Gristlemaster, has that raised middle section. I think it’s pretty bodacious.
5c3ce8c75e6f3c2ec0981d4b_gc_PRED_b_6.jpeg

-VB- said:
Greg Koch’s signature Reverend, the Gristlemaster, has that raised middle section. I think it’s petty bodacious.

Tre's Chic, Phil Like! :turtle:

That raised center section does look might nice. Thanks for that pic, VB

It doesn't look bad or off-putting at all, but I guess I don't see the attraction. Seems like it might be a blemish magnet. But, I'm sure that's just me. For instance, I think "F-Holes" are simply pick magnets, or attractive sites for spiders to set up housekeeping :laughing7:

Cagey said:
It doesn't look bad or off-putting at all, but I guess I don't see the attraction. Seems like it might be a blemish magnet. But, I'm sure that's just me. For instance, I think "F-Holes" are simply pick magnets, or attractive sites for spiders to set up housekeeping :laughing7:

I was talking to a friend about what really 'does it for me' guitar-wise, and I think it's the hybrid thing. Love having Body Shape A having Body Shape B's features, for example:

Jazzcaster is cool as hell, Jazzmaster body with Tele arrangement, (Mine in photo 1)
Building my current Warmoth build to be almost a Les Paul thing inspired by the Fender Artisan series on a Telecaster body. (Mock up photo 2)
I've got one of the Japanese Fender Pawn Shop '72s which is a Strat body with 51 P Bass arrangement, (Mine in Photo 3)

If I could get a Tele body with the Firebird arrangement and features, It'd really tickle my pickle! I've made a bit of a mock up of it! (Photo 4)

See photos below of what I mean! :toothy12:

Rhys

Attachments

• Photo 1.jpg
    Photo 1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 194
  • Photo 2.png
    Photo 2.png
    579.9 KB · Views: 220
  • Photo 3.jpg
    Photo 3.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 194
  • Photo 4.png
    Photo 4.png
    392.2 KB · Views: 226
That 4th mock-up is  pretty cool! If you really want to go for it, maybe consider buying an unfinished standard Tele body and modifying it yourself. I'm thinking a router and a surfacing jig would make quick work of it.  :icon_scratch:

BigSteve22 said:
That 4th mock-up is  pretty cool! If you really want to go for it, maybe consider buying an unfinished standard Tele body and modifying it yourself. I'm thinking a router and a surfacing jig would make quick work of it.  :icon_scratch:

I was thinking that. but then I thought that I'd need it rear routed to have the LP-style controls, and so I;d either have to order a completely blank body, and rout the control cavity too? I've never even used a router before so I'd definitely mess it up - I'd much rather pay a professional to do it, and then get it finished in the lovely Gold Top Gold that Warmoth offer too! Thanks for the input!  :headbang:

Maybe get a set of patterns (or make your own) and cut a body out of an inexpensive piece of wood for practice. At the worst, you toss the thing after learning what you need. At best, though, you might have the body you want and can use that for your guitar. It really isn't as hard as it seems.

A bit of an update for you guys,

Just got in touch with Spike at Warmoth, who said it wouldn't be possible for Warmoth to accept a job consisting of this kind of thing anymore. This is due to the workload etc. of Warmoth nowadays, plus the fact they want to keep to a structure where they can guarantee the quality that we all know and love from them. I totally understand because they already offer an expansive selection of custom options! We can hardly moan about it!  :laughing7:

I'm going on an adventure of routing then :D

Thanks all

I love the idea of Guitar A having features from Guitar B, like the Warmoth Hybrid Strat (which is what I have on order). Tempted to make a Jazzcaster eventually as well.

-VB- said:
Greg Koch’s signature Reverend, the Gristlemaster, has that raised middle section. I think it’s pretty bodacious.

That one is particularly cool because the wings are actually thinner, not a thicker center. It's also slightly larger than a standard Tele to better fit a self-described Sasquatch like Greg Koch.

Back