Firebird coming up

muhle

Hello! First time builder here. I just got confirmation from UPS that my Firebird body and neck will be arriving tomorrow. Waiting just got a lot harder for me!

Here's a a concept photoshop which I've made:
2yuyakx.jpg

But I need your input. Should I get black or creme pickup rings? I've bought black hardware and black humbuckers but I'm starting to feel like I need to add something lighter to the body. I'm seriously considering selling the pickups and getting creme ones instead.

EDIT: Here's the real deal:
2z7juh1.jpg

I say black rings with zebra pickups..or creme rings ...both would look cool,but zebra pickups would look awesome.

sbk12 said:
I say black rings with zebra pickups..or creme rings ...both would look cool,but zebra pickups would look awesome.

yes - zebras are a must. YES!! If you don't do zebras then... I don't know... something bad hahaha :laughing7:

seriously -  zebras -  ya gotta do it. :icon_thumright:

+1 for zebras.

If someone told me they'd have a KWS neck on a Firebird, I'd think they were crazy. But looking at it, I have to say it works. Nice one!

Ok. Zebras it is.

rockskate4x said:
you gotta paint that headstock... or do something to make the maple match the body

+3 for zebra pups

I wanted a veneer to the headstock but apparently it isn't allowed on flat angled headstocks. I'm planning on staining the neck but I've heard that maple doesn't get along with it very well. Is it true?
NonsenseTele said:
black pickups +5 (in weight :p)

Ok. Well I won't be able to buy the zebra ones anyday soon so I might as well try what the black ones look like.

Tempest said:
Sounds like an awesome build!

What pickups are you putting in it?

Right now I have Seymour Duncan Duncan Distortions waiting but I might change them to GFS's if they're as good as everybody says.

muhle said:
Tempest said:

Right now I have Seymour Duncan Duncan Distortions waiting but I might change them to GFS's if they're as good as everybody says.

Do u mean the GFS that are like $30 a pickup? Those sound awful, they are really thin.

Rouse said:
muhle said:
Tempest said:

Do u mean the GFS that are like $30 a pickup? Those sound awful, they are really thin.

Are there other kind?

muhle said:
Ok. Zebras it is.

rockskate4x said:
you gotta paint that headstock... or do something to make the maple match the body

+3 for zebra pups

I wanted a veneer to the headstock but apparently it isn't allowed on flat angled headstocks. I'm planning on staining the neck but I've heard that maple doesn't get along with it very well. Is it true?
NonsenseTele said:
black pickups +5 (in weight :p)

Ok. Well I won't be able to buy the zebra ones anyday soon so I might as well try what the black ones look like.

Sell those bad boys and put some Duncan Distortion Zebras or maybe a JB and a JAZZ..Would look something like this.Sorry I dont have any photoshop skills..Wish I could have done something with the headstock but you get the idea...

dsfsdf.jpg

That looks really convincing. I just ordered a zebra duncan set(this time a Jazz neck) and both creme and black rings to check out which works better.

muhle said:
I wanted a veneer to the headstock but apparently it isn't allowed on flat angled headstocks. I

From where did you take this idea??? Spalted maple is not avaiable in flat headstocks, but all others are...

EDIT: They won't put veneers on KWS headstocks... if you use another one, you can ask.... or you can buy a veneer (some black korina veneers on ebay always) and put yourself... not very hard if you know a little of woodworking and can be patience...

rockskate4x said:

+3 for zebra pups

I agree.  I like everything you picked, but that headstock sticks out like a sore... headstock.  The body and fretboard look beautiful though, and I'm digging the hardware.

Veneering headstocks is easy, especially if it's just the peghead and just one veneer. Don't ask me how I know...

Hmm. I'm going to check if I still have my wood clamps somewhere. I wasn't prepared to do any serious woodwork.

EDIT: Ooh! Just got a call from UPS. It's coming withn an hour!

Here it is!
2z7juh1.jpg

I checked that the neck is properly aligned with the bridge and drilled holes for the straplocks.

Edit: Sorry for the double post

Now that I think about it,you should just paint the headstock black..Kinda like Gibson does.It would look really nice with your black hardware.Ofcourse,just my opinion.

Back