Firebird body

cjpmmd

Just received today --- mahogany Firebird body in trans green, routed for 2 mini-humbuckers, standard TOM bridge/tailpiece.  I hope that the picture isn't too washed out, but I'm afraid my phone camera doesn't really do this piece justice.  I had previously purchased a Firebird neck (maple/pau ferro, with Celtic cross inlays) that I also had finished in trans green.  One question --- when I did a test mating of the neck to body, there is about a 1/8" gap between the body surface and the overhanging end of the fretboard.  Offhand, it doesn't seem as if it would affect playability, but should I get a good luthier to increase the depth of the neck pocket by 1/8" to bring the fretboard flush with the body?  I'd appreciate any input.  Thanks!

cjpm 

YES! Finally, somebody is building a 'Bird!

The overhang gap is normal, does it bother you that much?

No that's just how it should be. Room for pickguard... and remember (I'm assuming) your neck pocket is angled for the tunomatic bridge! You're good to go I think. Can't wait to see it done, firebirds are kickass.

I have never been a big fan of the sound of Gibson firebirds, but I do love the body.
Nice buy!

Yes! A firebird!

Don't worry about the gap. I think that's standard, for pickups and all to not be against the strings.

:)P I see me and RLW think alike. This was supposed to be posted as soon as this topic came up, but I had internet problems)

trans green on mahogany? isn't mahogany already a red-ish color? won't green over red look brown-ish? I need a better picture... :icon_scratch:

If you have ever seen the "Emerald" version of the Les Paul Gem series (essentially a Les Paul Studio with P-90's, IIRC), then that's what the trans green on a mahogany body looks like --- not brownish, but a green so deep that it borders on black, but with some of the figure of the wood still visible.  That's pretty much the color I was shooting for.  If i can find someone around here with a good digital camera I'll try to post a better picture.  When finances permit, I'm going to complete it with gold hardware (including the Steinberger gearless tuners) but I'm still up in the air about pickups.  Economics may dictate that I buy a set of Artec or GFS minihumbuckers just to get the thing up and running, but I may eventually go for SD's --- I had a Hamer Eclipse at one point with SD mini's (can't recall offhand which ones they were) and that sucker screamed!  Again, any input greatly appreciated.

cjpm

PS:  Oh, yeah, for the neckplate I got a plain gold neckplate from Allparts and had the Gibson 'bird logo etched onto it.  Looks cool, but I couldn't get a picture to turn out.  :(

I've never hear of these, but the price sure is right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GOLD-MINI-LP-GUITAR-PICKUP-DIESEL-FIREHAWK-PICKUPS-NEW_W0QQitemZ300241312340

RLW said:
I've never hear of these, but the price sure is right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GOLD-MINI-LP-GUITAR-PICKUP-DIESEL-FIREHAWK-PICKUPS-NEW_W0QQitemZ300241312340

I wouldn't waste my time soldering those in, will guarantee that any pickup THAT cheap with an unrecognizable brand name is going to sound like crap....

I've had a Firebird build bouncing around in my head for a while; unfortunately if you want to use mini-buckers you have a very limited choice of options, and few of them come in gold. Try the GFS's they might work for you, I've unimpressed with the couple of sets of their HBs I've tried. When you get around to upgrading, you could always unsolder a chrome cover from a better class of pickup and get it gold plated....

I love the Green Firebird deal. Good for you for staying true with the mini's. What kind of music you gonna be playin' with that 'bird?

Mostly blues/rock and various other species of classic rock.  For those who are interested, a recent web search revealed another source for minihumbuckers.  A company called Genesis (www.genesissounds.com) makes a hot-rodded Alnico V minihumbucker with the Firebird-style gold cover --- exactly what I was looking for!  Now, to save up those pennies for a couple of months...... :glasses10:

cjpm

Back