Finishing Pine

The rosewood on the front of that neck is purty amazing, but what's really got me slack-jawed with awe is that curly maple neck shaft. THAT is sexy.

That's a sharp fiddle.

Funny how the wood thing works out sometimes, isn't it?

Tonar8353 said:
Raw Pine
IMG_8571.jpg
I got a pine body that'll need finishing sometime down the track. YEP pine is soft !!
NOT looking for a super shiny u-beaut looking finish. NO dyes or Paint.
Going for a Satin clean natural look.
Not worried about digs / dents in this as it'll have a 'nasty edge' to it.  :laughing7:

What would I use on a pine body to keep it as natural looking as possible ?
I don't have any spraying equipment.

Do I use water based or oil based ?
Or
Is there something along the Tung oil wipe on, that could be used ?

I didn't really want that yellowing / golding effect.

Amateur finisher here  :icon_biggrin:

OH I have used spray cans before on a V I did ages ago.

Thanks for any advice on this.  :icon_thumright:

I have a pine body (had it for many years now) and will try to finally finish that. I decided to just tru oil it.
I have been holding off on it so long since I couldnt decide what to do with it.. I considered anything from mary kay to barndoor, but think I will just go for a nice plain golden clear!

If you want the wood to stay as close to the natural color as you can I suggest you look into some type of water born finish. Look for a clear acrylic type finish. If you are not after a super fine gloss finish you should be able to find something you can brush on and then level it with 0000 steel wool. It will have a low gloss appearance yet the wood will be protected from dirt and grim.

Keep us posted on your progress. 

Thanks Tonar & DMARCO  :icon_thumright:

Had a customer of mine, who is a cabinet maker, dropped in today & showed him what I was doing.
Told him I wanted it clear & as it looks. Bit like satin nitro on a maple neck.
Of cause being a cabinet maker, the 1st thing he said was Blonde shellac. 
Then he mentioned water base would be easier to do.

Think the water base will be the way to go for me.

Should I use a water base sanding sealer 1st up ?  :dontknow: ... forgot to ask him that  :doh:

Thanks again  :icon_thumright:  & of cause I'll keep you posted on this.

Up down, I have finished raw pine with this before:

http://www.briwax.co.uk/products/briwax.html

Just rub it in with steel wool, then buff up with a soft cloth. Lovely finish and still feels like raw wood. Absolute piece of cake. That's what I'd use if I was to do a pine guitar.

Cheers Jumble, looks interesting, shall keep that in mind, can get that here in Oz too  :icon_thumright:

But I'll be going water based for this, as that'll suit better for what I have planned.
:icon_scratch:  Well I have some type of an idea / plan, just hope it works out.  :toothy11:

Just trying something different to my normal builds ....... Lets just say, a bit of customising  :laughing7:

Back