Finished the BUILD!!!

doghouseman

HXH Mahogany body telecaster with body contours.  Short scale mahogany neck.  Sounds just like a Les Paul but is much more comfortable to play.

Attachments

• black tele 4.jpg
    black tele 4.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 417
  • black tele2.jpg
    black tele2.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 382
Nice! Did a good job.

But, "sounds just like a Les Paul"? Them's fightin' words to LP aficionados. They're liable to hunt you down, kill you, drag you home and eat you  :laughing7:

Not me, of course, I buy an LP, keep it 6 months, eventually remember why I hate them, then sell it. Then, 6 months later I gotta have another one. There's nothing like the little rascals, especially if you hate money  :icon_biggrin:

Very cool.  It sounds like you got exactly what you were looking for.

Cagey said:
Not me, of course, I buy an LP, keep it 6 months, eventually remember why I hate them, then sell it.

I agree completely...of the bunch I've had, the best Gibson Les Paul I've ever owned is an ESP Eclipse (MIJ).  :toothy10:  The only Gibson I've kept has been a 24-fret Les Paul DC Standard which sounds open and airy (not LP-like at all), even though it neck dives pretty bad.

I currently have one of these, and if you ever get the urge to own another LP, I highly recommend this unit. Just a super high-quality fiddle that beats the living snot out of a Gibson LP Custom for quality, playability, and sound. How Gibson stays in business when this is their competition is a mystery for the ages.

Cagey said:
Nice! Did a good job.

But, "sounds just like a Les Paul"? Them's fightin' words to LP aficionados. They're liable to hunt you down, kill you, drag you home and eat you  :laughing7:

Not me, of course, I buy an LP, keep it 6 months, eventually remember why I hate them, then sell it. Then, 6 months later I gotta have another one. There's nothing like the little rascals, especially if you hate money  :icon_biggrin:

Yes, understand them is fighting words.  Les Paul freaks probably think they all sound different from each other. But, I think the basis of the LP tone is the Mahogany neck and body, short scale neck, TOM bridge and the humbuckers.  The Mahogany Tele body in this case is nice because it is very light and I got the tummy cut and the forearm cut.

I don't actually own a Les Paul - there, I said it. 

I am just using Allman Brothers recordings for comparisons of the tone I want to nail.  I had a Les Paul a long time ago but I never could get used to the control layout of the volume knobs and tone knobs or the feel.  Loved the tone though.

I have an ESP Viper SG copy with SD pickups, which is really nice.  It had some neck dive so I replaced the tuners with some very light Gotoh tuners and that solved the problem.  However the 24 frets throws me off sometimes too.  Fortunately it only has one volume and one tone, so that is cool.

This build really satisfies my need for Les Paul tone, in a form factor that I can play.

Yeah......not everyone is manly enough for a Les Paul. I could see how confusing the knobs are too. They all look alike. The ones that are labled volume or tone are so hard to read. My volume was upside down, every time I would turn it so I could actually read it my sound went away. I'm so glad Leo started making skirtcasters.  :icon_jokercolor:

pabloman said:
Yeah......not everyone is manly enough for a Les Paul. I could see how confusing the knobs are too. They all look alike.

343214.jpg

How would you like 5 across yo lip?

Tsk-tsk! T'is a shame how the 'boards have gone down-hill; I stop in to see what's goin' on to find site administrators threatening the members with physical violence!  :laughing7:

That's funny. My dad used to call me Lamont. I think it was some sort of PC way of callin me a big dummy.

My dad used to call me ass hole. Not sure he could even spell "politically correct", let alone know what it meant. Although, to be fair, there was no such term back then.

Then, when he threw me out at 15, the post office let me know at my new digs that my real name was "resident". What a relief! I finally had an identity!

Cagey said:
Nice! Did a good job.

:laughing11:

This is the only LP I lust after, but could never afford one....
52GibsonLesPaulStandardGoldtop.jpg

doghouseman said:
HXH Mahogany body telecaster with body contours.  Short scale mahogany neck.  Sounds just like a Les Paul but is much more comfortable to play.
Nice Tele....I really like the contrast of the dot on the fb... :icon_thumright:

So basically, Doghouseman, what you're telling us is the following joke:

Q:  What do you get if you take a Tele, give it all the contours, a 24 3/4 neck, humbuckers, and a non-trem bridge?

A:  What a Les Paul is supposed to be, but better with comfort and playability at a fraction of the price and weight.

Am I right?  (I certainly like what you did!)

Awesome build and funny commentary.

I've owned 3 LPs and sold them all within 6 months lol. 

What do you call 100 Les Pauls at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start! :laughing7:

Borrowed from Emmylou Harris and modified to fit the occasion.

hehehe .. I do have a 59 reissue that I actually like. 

Other than that, great build.  Enjoy!

Hbom said:
What do you call 100 Les Pauls at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start! :laughing7:

Borrowed from Emmylou Harris and modified to fit the occasion.

LOL, that just made my day.......

Had one long enough to realize I despise them. Neck angle. Weight. Strap button. Even my attempt at making a short scale 2xP90 BK thingy ended up becoming something else.  Still, I have tools in my garage I only use once in a blue moon.

Back