Finish on Frets

1960es

I just got in this beautiful flame maple neck in vintage tint gloss that I love! I started off by doing a fret level, crown, etc and soon figured out the frets have a finish on them. Not sure if this is always the case but I ordered this neck on their site and it was unfinished and already had frets installed. A return I assume but I optioned for the finish. So, what is the best process for removing the finish. Actually, it is already coming off in places as I was leveling and I stopped the process. I will finish it once I get the finish off. I can think of a couple of ways to remove it but just curious what others have done.

Thanks for your help!

Hi there, welcome to the forum

What you are seeing is normal.  For maple fretboards (and other fretboards that are finished) it is typical to have finish sprayed on the frets while the fretboard is finished. 

There are various ways of getting it off.  I've used a plastic scraper, others remove it while fret levelling, and others just play it. 

Thanks! I will crown them and then see where I stand. Probably that will take a bit more off and then I might scrape some more.

I appreciate the help!

Apparently fender used to use a nail with a fret shaped groove cut in the head to scrape the finish off. Plastic seems safer to me though

In my experience the act of polishing the frets with high grit (or steel wool, or synthetic steel wool) removes the finish.

Back