Finish for bookmatch and body interface

flagstaff tim

UPS just dropped a little treat at my door, Dinky J with a Korina body and book matched Canary laminate top.  That matched with Padouk/Ebony fretless neck could be the most beautiful piece of wood I've seen. Brand new to the process, but I plan on black grain filler and Tung oil finish on Korina.  Should the Canary be treated the same only with clear grain filler?  How difficult is it to keep the interface neat?  Is Tung oil the best for Canary?  Or possible Tru oil for Canary?  Trying to get oil properties straight, any advise is more than appreciated...thx Tim :laughing7:

Hey Flagstaff, welcome. Best of luck on your dinky J, I'm finishing up a Korina dinky J myself sometime soon, though yours sounds fancier than mine.

Questions:
1. black grain fill and tung oil would probably look great. Here's some pics of mine in progress, though I shot nitro in the end instead of slow-azz tung oil:  http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=3372.0
2. I've not used Canary, but I doubt it would need filler - most exotics and high-end woods with close grain don't need them. I know walnut or rosewood would be a waste of time to fill.
3. By interface, do you mean the line where the lam top goes on? I'm not sure what you mean by 'neat' in that case, since you're not planning on painting.

I wouldn't try, say, tung oil on the back and tru oil on the lam top - just do it all with the same oil, definitely. Have you read CB's sticky on the different finishes? It's a must.
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=1308.0

Best and easiest, especially if it's your first, may be to do your grain fill, stain if you want to, then start tung oiling, patiently like everyone says.

You would need to fill the Canary top if you're looking to get a mirror like tung oil finish like you've probably seen on some of the guitars in the Galleries.

1.) Get BOTH clear and black grain filler.
2.) The Black Korina will more of a pain in the ass to fill than the Canary top. Start it first using the blackfiller. Use blue painters tape to mask off the edge of the laminate top as not to get the black filler on it.
3.) After the first couple of fills, after sanding back the black filler on the black korina side, remove the painter's tape masking the laminate top and finish the filling operation by using clear on both sides. The previous black fills on the korina side will leave color in the grain.
4.) Do a final sand back to #320/400 before starting to apply the tung oil; there are multiple threads on tung oil finishing on this site, use the search function.

Thanks for the advise.  Having this forum makes this project way more appetizing.  The thought of screwing this up is too much.  What I meant by interface is the contact line of the laminate and the body.  I was thinking there would be two different treatments for the two types of wood, and I obviously want it to look seamless. The Canary (with my untrained eye) looks like it would benefit from clear grain filling. Black on the back clear all over then the "tung" makes sense..Thx

The Korina Dinky looks great.  That was my first choice, but went with the Canary for the coloring and hopes it would brighten the tone.  The purplish-red coloring in the Canary with the Padouk neck is over the top...perfect match, Kudos warmoth!  Thanks for the help....Tim

Back