Finish aging

GSVBagpuss

Wow, this building guitar thing sucks up my internet research time :)

Apols if this has been aked before; a search didn't pull up anything.

I am currently trying to chose between a Black Dye and a Washed Black Dye for my LP body (Flame Maple Top). I was wondering what level of fading I could expect with the finish, as I prefer the Washed finish look but am happy to let the Black Dye slowly fade to that over time. I don't really want the Washed finish to fade to silver!

Many thanks in advance

Max said:
I would not expect fading. Modern dyes do not fade like the old ones.

The dyes might not fade, but maple yellows with UV exposure.  Check out this picture of my purple, flamed maple Strat.

IMG_0390.jpg

Underneath the pickguard, the finish is still very bright and vivid, but the exposed areas have "faded" to a mellower hue.

dudesweet157 said:
Max said:
I would not expect fading. Modern dyes do not fade like the old ones.

The dyes might not fade, but maple yellows with UV exposure.  Check out this picture of my purple, flamed maple Strat.

IMG_0390.jpg

Underneath the pickguard, the finish is still very bright and vivid, but the exposed areas have "faded" to a mellower hue.

WOW..that a big difference.  It may be the poly yellowing and not the Maple.  I have done UV exposure to poly and it will yellow.  It even yellows with age.  I have tele neck that I did in poly and it barely sees the light of day.  Over the years it has developed a nice vintage amber tint to it.

The Les Paul BFG I did in blue, is damn near teal green now after what... three years?
IMG_7681.jpg

Shown here, right after I dyed it.

=CB= said:
The Les Paul BFG I did in blue, is damn near teal green now after what... three years?
IMG_7681.jpg

Shown here, right after I dyed it.

yellow and blue make green...... :icon_thumright:

Back