Financing

Is nobody reading my examples?

*shrugs*
Oh well, if I'm the only one that wants this then nevermind. I figured this would be a more popular idea then it is, but I guess I was wrong.

The fact is, it's not a bad idea... but the problem is with the current state of the economy. There's been enough of a credit crisis, and I doubt that any bank would want to take this on to any great extent. The fact of the matter is, we guitar players, are a small blip in the economy and I doubt a bank would do this for us in the first place.

I think you could just use your credit card if you don't have the money right away.  same dangerous usury concept.  

Yeah, here's the difference.... I have a credit card, and you don't have financing, so when I see that amazing one-of-a-kind neck, it's mine... money in hand or not.   

lol
I have a credit card too, but at this point it would usually take me two or three months to be able to be able to pay it off, instead of the month that I have with my card.

okay well than that makes sense if you have to pay in full within one month. That stinks... what if you need a new transmission in a jam? I doubt Habib's Transmission Shop offers financing.   But most other cards arent like that.  A credit card should make your life more convienient, not less. Of course I'm not advocating credit debt either.  I think financing would be a cool option as long as it didn't drive up costs for non-financiers.  I probably wouldn't use it, but others might.  

kreig said:
where is the plug I can pull on this thread?
Ehh I think it fine.
We *are* going in a bit of circles ATM, but what ever. This is how ideas work.
Somebody presents ideas, some back, others are against it, they give their reasons why, people (or person) in favor tries to sway them, and hopefully in the end a conclusion is made - lots of people think this is a good idea, or they think it is a bad idea, and the person who put it up either agrees with them after the discussion, or at least realizes that there is no support.

This thread hasn't been open very long, there is no reason to pull the plug, lots of people people can still say if they are for it or not.

I would be for this, but debt isn't a good thing. I try to pay off stuff when I get it. My parents don't lend me money, so it's all I can do.

A thought: Add funds to your paypal account as you save for your W, get one of those paypal mastercards (so the merchant doesn't need to accept paypal; you just give them a mastercard number). Then when you've got the funds, start looking through the showcase. Sure, you'll not be able to buy a guitar till you've actually got the money, but is that a bad thing? I've been doing this with my guitar "allowance" for a while now and it's working pretty well. The challenge is to live with less credit, not with more.

Also, considering we're heading into a very deep recession caused in some measure by a total over-extension of easy credit to loafers without jobs, maybe it would be a better idea to suggest a layaway program for W parts or something. Also: The average American has like 13 credit cards, is it really that hard to charge it?

Finance and guitars is a dangerous combination.

I'm sure I'd have a stable of guitars like Spinal tap - not just one but many with the tags still on it.

No don't touch it. Don't even look at it!

DangerousR6 said:
I just look at it as, if I ain't got the monies, I ain't gonna get it.... :dontknow:

Yeah me too. Gotta draw the line somewhere with the use of credit.

And what's wrong with budgetting over the course of a few months and buying a project piece by piece? Do you have to splurge out $1000+ on the whole lot in one hit?

OzziePete said:
DangerousR6 said:
I just look at it as, if I ain't got the monies, I ain't gonna get it.... :dontknow:

And what's wrong with budgetting over the course of a few months and buying a project piece by piece? Do you have to splurge out $1000+ on the whole lot in one hit?
Ya really, just look at it this way. If you buy the body unfinished, by the time you're done doing the finish you should have had plenty of time to aquire the other parts.... :icon_biggrin:

DangerousR6 said:
OzziePete said:
DangerousR6 said:

Ya really, just look at it this way. If you buy the body unfinished, by the time you're done doing the finish you should have had plenty of time to aquire the other parts.... :icon_biggrin:

I am not at all confident finishing a body, lord knows I do a bad enough job on unfinished Ikea furniture with a  clear lacquer! :laughing7:

When I do a project I go to Warmoth for the finish. The other reason, too, is that I'd have to get advice from you good folks here, and as I am in Australia, and most of you guys are in the US, most - if not all -the various stains, dyes and finishes that would be recommended, are not available here in Australia. I know WillyK has had some success with finishes and he's just 'down the road' from me, so whatever he uses I could try too. But trust me, you wouldn't want to let me loose with some lacquer and have some expensive wood wasted like that!

OzziePete said:
DangerousR6 said:

I want to rip my hair out. I have no problem with people disagreeing, but don't keep disagreeing for the same reason after I give a valid answer.
But to answer your question. Yes. Some SPECIALTY items require you putting up 1000$ in one go. If you are not going to buy a SPECIALTY item, then what ever, there usually isn't a rush. Generally people don't go for Warmoth for their first buy, or in an emergency. They buy a Warmoth after they know specifically what they want, after lots of planning. If you have a clear set plan in what you want and it is available then by all means, budget for it, save a few months and buy it.
But this is a company that from time to time makes SPECIAL items and puts them up on the showcase, where one may need to act quickly to buy their dream build. They also put up bodies with woods that are becoming more and more rare, requiring you to watch the showcase for one to pop up and take it when it comes.

OzziePete said:
DangerousR6 said:
OzziePete said:
DangerousR6 said:

I am not at all confident finishing a body, lord knows I do a bad enough job on unfinished Ikea furniture with a  clear lacquer! :laughing7:

When I do a project I go to Warmoth for the finish. The other reason, too, is that I'd have to get advice from you good folks here, and as I am in Australia, and most of you guys are in the US, most - if not all -the various stains, dyes and finishes that would be recommended, are not available here in Australia. I know WillyK has had some success with finishes and he's just 'down the road' from me, so whatever he uses I could try too. But trust me, you wouldn't want to let me loose with some lacquer and have some expensive wood wasted like that!
Lacquer is easy, just have to go sloooooooooooooooooooow. And shoot really thin coats over a looooooooooooooong time. And it works out just smashing... :icon_thumright:

Back