Few questions -- Please help!

VanHendrix

Hey guys, so i've been thinking about getting the whole deal from Warmoth for my next guitar (after the SL2H comes in, whenever that is) and i have a whole ton of questions. For reading and possibly answering ease, i will number them:

1. How do i get them to paint the body and neck that i select? Obviously they do that, but i don't see a place for it on the order form so i'm a tad confused

2. I'm a lefty, and i want this one to have a reverse headstock. Since they dont offer a reverse lefty per se, i was wondering if i could simply buy a righty neck and stick it on the lefty body. Is there anything that would prevent that in the neck pocket, etc? (i know the side dots would be on the wrong side)

3. I've heard from some people that they don't drill anything for screw holes, such as the ones to attach the tuning pegs. They drill the hole that the peg goes through, but nothing for the screws. Is this true?

4. I'd like the neck to be finished black, along with the body and headstock. In the "matching neck and body colours" section of the neck finishes page, it says that the body and neck must be made of the same wood. For transparent finishes, that makes sense, but would that apply for solid colours? I wouldn't think so, but I'm new to this

5. To do with the pickguards, i dont see an option for a "lefty pickguard" (i know, this again right?), so i was wondering if the pearl ones are the same on both sides, or does it have a duller possibly blank backside? Seeing as how i'd have to flip it backwards and all....

6. On the subject of pickguards; since the 24 fret extension eliminates the neck pickup, can i get a pickguard with a hum in the bridge and an angled middle pickup? I'm not sure how far "you can mix any of these options" goes.

That's all I can think of right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would suggest calling them.  They don't bite, and they will be happy to answer your questions.  I think that they can do everything you are asking about.  No they do not drill the set screws for the tuners, yer on yer own there.  They also don't drill the pickguard screw holes.  Just keep reading the board around here and most things will be covered.

I will warn you, like the rest of the folks around here will warn you, there is no going back once you start this habit.
Patrick

use a hand crank drill for the tuner and pickguard screw holes. They still make them and are cheep and you cant really screw things up with them! :icon_thumright:

Brian

Looks like there are a number of items you really need to call/email Warmoth about..

1. How do i get them to paint the body and neck that i select? Obviously they do that, but i don't see a place for it on the order form so i'm a tad confused

===> Either call and make the order, or download the ordering forms and email or fax them back to Warmoth; forms are here:
http://www.warmoth.com/customerservice/orderforms/order3.htm

2. I'm a lefty, and i want this one to have a reverse headstock. Since they dont offer a reverse lefty per se, i was wondering if i could simply buy a righty neck and stick it on the lefty body. Is there anything that would prevent that in the neck pocket, etc? (i know the side dots would be on the wrong side)

===> While that isn't specifically listed on the website, I'm pretty sure I've seen a lefty reverse stock before, again call/email and check.

3. I've heard from some people that they don't drill anything for screw holes, such as the ones to attach the tuning pegs. They drill the hole that the peg goes through, but nothing for the screws. Is this true?

===> Yes. You need to drill your own pilot holes for the following items as applicable: tuner set screws, pickguard mounting screws, PU mounting ring screws, strap holder screws and jackplate screws

4. I'd like the neck to be finished black, along with the body and headstock. In the "matching neck and body colours" section of the neck finishes page, it says that the body and neck must be made of the same wood. For transparent finishes, that makes sense, but would that apply for solid colours? I wouldn't think so, but I'm new to this

===> That might depend on the solid finish selected and the amount of disparity between the two types of wood coloration. What were you planning on ordering?

5. To do with the pickguards, i dont see an option for a "lefty pickguard" (i know, this again right?), so i was wondering if the pearl ones are the same on both sides, or does it have a duller possibly blank backside? Seeing as how i'd have to flip it backwards and all....

===> As mentioned above, left/right handed option is on order form, you can order all pickguards "lefty".

6. On the subject of pickguards; since the 24 fret extension eliminates the neck pickup, can i get a pickguard with a hum in the bridge and an angled middle pickup? I'm not sure how far "you can mix any of these options" goes.

===> Don't see that listed as an option, but they could probably do that custom, email/call them to make sure

I would be concerned about the side adjustment hole with regurds to being on the wrong side of the body. I guess if you go for the total vintage neck youd have to take the neck off to adjust it anyway. :dontknow:

Brian

Thanks guys, i've fired off a few emails to Warmoth but i figured this would be faster and i'd be talking to people who have actually ordered.

By the way, i'd be looking for a poplar body and a maple neck with a jet black ebony board. I dont see why that'd be difficult to paint it all black eh?

VanHendrix said:
Thanks guys, i've fired off a few emails to Warmoth but i figured this would be faster and i'd be talking to people who have actually ordered.

By the way, i'd be looking for a poplar body and a maple neck with a jet black ebony board. I dont see why that'd be difficult to paint it all black eh?

I wouldn't worry about that combo in black; might be a slight difference if the body/neck woods were extremely different in coloration and you were ordering a light colored solid finish.

bpmorton777 said:
I would be concerned about the side adjustment hole with regurds to being on the wrong side of the body. I guess if you go for the total vintage neck youd have to take the neck off to adjust it anyway. :dontknow:

Brian

I hate to be one of those guys that replies so many times in their own thread, but can i still adjust the rod from the headstock end? I have 13 other guitars that i've needed to mess around with, so i'd know what i was doing.

"Vintage Modern" strat/tele necks, plus all tilt-back necks (LP, V, Explorer etc) are adjustable at the headstock.  "Warmoth Pro" necks are adjustable at the heel and on the side (but that feature is not available for lefties IIRC).  "Total Vintage" necks are only adjustable at the heel.

You can order a Vintage Modern neck OR a 13 degree angled neck and get adjustment from the headstock end. If you order a Total Vintage or mount a Warmoth Pro you'll be pulling the neck to make adjustments.

Ok perfect, i'd be getting a 13 degree soloist anyways.

Thanks so much guys, looks like this project is getting on track after all!

Back