Fender/Warmoth Telecaster build - gearing up

Oh boy. This arrived today, all the way across the Atlantic Ocean as no one in the UK seems to stock it. I'm going to do another careful inspection for lingering burn marks, sand back if needed, cut a handle for the neck pocket and start finishing probably tomorrow.

5maWVhW.jpg

Nice!  I think that's going to look pretty good.

Funny that you can't get poly in the UK...

Finally, after many many distractions and side projects, the finishing is under way. Looks like the Minwax is going to give it just about the right amount of amber to look really great. This is the first coat, still wet. That stuff really sinks into the ash so it's going to be a long process but we're motoring now.

tm5Qgz1.jpg

I saw the photos on my phone, and the "after" shot appeared to be overly orange, but on the good monitor for the Mac, it looks really nice.  Excellent work recovering that thing.

It won't be nearly so dark when it's finished, the coat lightens up as it dries but it'll just darken the wood enough ... after about ten coats. This ash is really porous and the poly coat disappears into it really fast.

Thread's been very Fender heavy so far, let's have a pic of that neck for some much-needed Warmoth content.

770WfiGl.jpg

The workbench of sawdust and chaos ...

ywqaspTl.jpg

It's starting to gloss up! Several more coats to go and much sanding to level out the finish but this should be the colour of the finished article. Minwax does tend to run a bit when applied, it's very easy to get "runs" in the poly coat if you slap it on too thick. Steel wool keys it nicely between coats, I want to build up a really good solid coating then think about fine sanding and buffing.

B2YXuDdl.jpg

I just wish I'd assembled the guitar before finishing it, I could have done a before and after poly finish sound test to illustrate the complete lack of difference.

GilgaFrank said:
I just wish I'd assembled the guitar before finishing it, I could have done a before and after poly finish sound test to illustrate the complete lack of difference.

I'm also a firm believer in the lack of difference finishing makes on a solid-body guitars and have wanted to do what you propose, but I'm sure without being able to absolutely control every minute variable right down to phase of the moon and barometric pressure that you'd still have your proponents of finish impact. Confirmation bias and the power of suggestion are some remarkable tricks your mind can play to produce false or non-existent results. Of course, the proponents would make the same argument relative to those who don't believe there's a difference.

For all the debate about ash, alder, mahogany, rosewood, maple, poly, nitro, tru oil - none of it makes as big a difference as a quick turn of a tone knob.

Back