Fender releases strat fast swap electronic/pup modules and 9.5" - 14" compound

rolloman

We had to know it was coming sometime. 2014 Fender Strat American Deluxe Plus
Just came out by Fender. Go figure. 3 swappable cards with pups and electronics. Completely solderless electronics. I hate this idea. Is this the first time they offered compound radius necks of any kind. 9.5" to 14". Modern C Profile.

http://www.fender.com/series/american-deluxe/american-deluxe-strat-plus-maple-fingerboard-mystic-3-color-sunburst/?utm_source=Newsletter-February19-2014&utm_medium=Email&ut

My prediction is simple.  This is not going to fly.  Too many negatives.  But, the good news is that in fifty years that price on these guitars is going to be through the roof.  Unlike my quadrophonic record collection.

I have nothing against implementing modern ideas into an old, tried and true (perhaps legendary, for better or worse) design — after all, they're just doing it on the Deluxe Plus series, not all models. I am just wondering what the price of these "cards" will be (they are just plastic cards with a few traces and a block of DIP switches); for now, it looks a lot like a new way to milk the (consenting) customer while there could have been other ways to allow for modular/solderless wiring without asking him to shell out yet more bucks.

In the end, I just don't care too much, as I'm not likely to buy one of these, so why am I even commenting this? :icon_jokercolor:

you guys are forgetting the intended audience. The gimmick of those cards isn't for us: we know how to solder. but many don't and many wish to tweak but are afraid to solder or do something themselves. We can't fathom that idea. But those guys are there and plentiful, too.

I played these guitars at NAMM and those cards work and work VERY well. sound great, too. I see no negative things. really, this isn't for us, but for t

The idea behind the modules appeals to me, but I see it as gimmicky.

I have a Strat but would love to be able to use that instrument but with different voicings. The 2nd tone knob, to me, is just about useless in my Strat's current form. A bass control of some sort, like either the Reverend or G&L tone circuits, appeals to me.

That is achievable with this Fender system, but damn it looks dinky in a not so nice way.

As Fender were arguably the inventor of surface mount pickguard modular design, why didn't they simply work out a way to incorporate it into a pickguard modular design? I mean, there's really only the ground wire that needs to connect to the body, the rest can come off simply by unscrewing the pickguard screws. Couldn't they, for example, split the Strat pickguard and have the control area individually removeable like the Jaguar, Mustang & Jazz Bass plates and replace that section?  :dontknow:

Probably not. Personally I think that the Gibson and Fender markets are much the same and very unique in terms of vintage being the most sought after aspect. When I say vintage I include both appearance and sound.

croquet hoop said:
They could, but would people buy them?

You mean: a modular control panel to complete the pickguard? Well for starters, it's more in sync with the design of the Strat, it's more Fender  styled, and it's less 'orphan' than the weird shaped circuit cards.

Unscrew the old control panel. Unattach the connection plugs for ground, pickups and jack plate (heck even colour code them so you can't stuff that up), attach new control panel sockets, screw in new panel.

Done.  :icon_thumright:

Still looks like a Strat, doesn't have a weird routed pocket at the rear. 

If these aren't going to sell, it's not because of people be unwilling to adapt to a newer technology. The 2-point bridge, the EMG X pickups, the Gibson self-tuning system, Axe FX and so on all prove otherwise. The pre-orders for the 2014 Gibsons with new weight relief, self-tuning, and active boost are through the roof.

The main thing these have working against them is the combination of a 2-point bridge with bent steel saddles, as well as the fact you can get the HSS or HSH American Deluxe for less and that comes with S-1 switching for every sound you could ever need, a roller nut, staggered tuners, a better bridge and a carved heel. Fender are putting out so many Strat and Tele variations that they've begun competing with themselves.

Nothing is wrong with them, that's the point. They're an upgrade over regular active pickups in every way and, other than a lack of choice compared to the thousands of passive models out there, offer only advantages over passive designs, too.

But they were new not so long ago and people didn't trust them at first. Then they went on to sell by the bucketload. That's the point. People—the mass market, not people sat on forums talking about their one-off custom orders and boutique parts—aren't scared off by new tech. EMG X pickups are one of several examples from the last few years alone. There is no reason whatsoever to think these new Fenders won't sell due to their new features.

AutoBat said:
What's wrong with EMG X pickups? I've got a pair in my VIP and I quite like them.
He's not saying there's anything wrong with them, he's (rightly) saying that the fact that they're popular is evidence that new technology in guitars isn't a sales disaster.

Back