Fender Layoff

Rick

Epic Member
I'm speculating production has equaled demand, and now they are laying off the extra people hired during Covid.  Being laid off is no fun.  Alot of companies that hired over Covid are doing this.    There will probably be more of this over the next couple of months.  They had three shifts making 250 guitars each shift.  Now just two shifts.  500 a day now.  Still a lot of guitars.  I suppose it's good news in a way, it means we are getting back to normal whatever that is, still stinks though if you lose your job.

https://guitar.com/news/industry-news/fender-reportedly-lays-off-hundreds-california-employees/

Now that sucks.  But I hear the airline industry is looking for people... :)

but seriously - yea things are shifting like crazy all over the place.  Anything to do with Travel is now desperate for staff.  Best to be flexible in times like these I suppose.  I wonder if the Big W will start getting order times down soon ...

is it possible that downsizing at fender aligns with the rise in boutique and diy builders ?

Oof. That's brutal. And I really sympathize for the person who felt they hit the jackpot getting to work at Fender and the heartbreak of getting canned.

Interesting also that upper-level managers and execs were also part of the sweep. That seems more like a product focus shift, as if Acoustasonic isn't moving as much volume as they'd projected.

NedRyerson said:
Oof. That's brutal. And I really sympathize for the person who felt they hit the jackpot getting to work at Fender and the heartbreak of getting canned.

Interesting also that upper-level managers and execs were also part of the sweep. That seems more like a product focus shift, as if Acoustasonic isn't moving as much volume as they'd projected.

Yep that's probably the long and the short of it. 

My friend bought a Tele Acoustasonic as a novelty item. He's so not a Tele guy but the design and concept caught his eye. I think he just wanted something a little louder to practice in his apartment but not to the full size or volume as a dreadnought.

But it was kind of an impulse purchase nevertheless. He didn't go seeking it out. And after having played it myself, my evaluation is that it's nice, but I have no use for it in my collection.

As an aside, he bought a flight-rated hardshell case for it, but it was for a standard Tele. The AS Tele doesn't fit.

So instead of returning it minus shipping, he just gave me the case for my Tele. Awfully nice of him, as it wasn't a cheap case!

Back