Fender factory tour 1959

Disco Scottie

I guess they didn't shoot any footage of the guy who sprinkles Mojo on the guitars...

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nswcAPvH0P8&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

My amp was made there!

OTOH, watching the dude cut the bodies and necks... wonder how many fingers he has today?

Very cool! Yeah, those guitars they're making in the video are worth some coin now aren't they?  :laughing7:

I liked the final test being done by a sweaty guy with no shirt  :headbang:

Edit - where did this footage come from?  I never even knew it existed.

I just saw this yesterday on the offset guitar forum. Very cool vid, I was thinking of posting it here myself!

Superlizard said:
It was California... they ate granola and tofu even back then.   :laughing7:

I suppose. But, I'm reminded of that digression on "Family Guy", where they're making fun of the '50s...

Customer: One steak and donut sandwich..
Counterman: You want cigarettes on that sandwich?
Customer: What do you think, I'm a Mary?!!..Of course I want cigarettes on my sandwich!!!

mayfly said:
I liked the final test being done by a sweaty guy with no shirt  :headbang:

And the next shot is an older guy wiping a guitar down.  :laughing7:

I want one of those lap steels. Maybe Warmoth can strart making that body.

Awesome video, thanks for posting!

Thats pretty awesome....man the people from the 50's were so BA. Personal injury? what the hell is that?!

Back then, there was such a thing as personal responsibility. If you screwed up, it was generally your own fault, and everybody knew that. Now, it's grounds to sue somebody into insolvency. Placing blame elsewhere and charging for it has become the national pastime.

And the sad thing is that there is now a parking garage where that was filmed.  I've parked there many times while picking my husband up from the train station. 

Don't understand longing for the days when life was cheap in the US. For all the problems there are now, things are better for just about everyone.

I love it.

Old guys like me call that Mecca and go there after the NAMM show and tell stories of people we know or met who use to work there and get all teary eyed.  :laughing7: I was just talking to one of my friends this morning about how much I would have loved to spend one day with Tadeo Gomez.

Thank you for posting that I had not seen it before.

richship said:
Don't understand longing for the days when life was cheap in the US. For all the problems there are now, things are better for just about everyone.

It's just a lack of understanding or points of reference. Many things are actually cheaper now when you factor in inflation. Even gasoline doesn't cost as much as it used to. But, people look at the old prices and get all excited. "Can you imagine? Gas for $.72/gal?" Except in today's dollars, that gas was $5/gal. People made a lot less back then. If you were hauling down $30K/yr, you were in fat city. Now, you need $70K/yr to stop worrying, and even that's not really anything to write home about. But, at $70K/yr, gas at $.72 would be a godsend. One of my brothers was telling me the other day that between him and his wife, they spend $450/mo. on gas, and they have relatively new vehicles. But, they also both make pretty nice piles that we could only dream about when we were kids.

richship said:

Americans had more FREEDOM in 1959, and there wasn't any of that Political Correctness B.S. .
There wasn't a camera on every street corner watching every move people make. Americans knew that Communism was bad, and something to fight against, instead of embrace the way that so many are now.

TinFoilHatArea.jpg

Back