favorite strat tones?

yeah, but then he switched to krank amps when they made his krankenstein. how'd he die again? shot on stage right?

no that was clapton (zack wylde) 

btw phry are you going to stop harping on the fact that i like the dimebucker. keep in mind im a bass player here. and once i settle on a pickup idea, i can't shut up about it until i try, and there is a limited number of bass players here. so when every one talks about there fav pup, i just mention my favorite guitar pickup cuz its easier than going through the 50 ideas i have for bass.

further more i said that about fender, because i knidda hate fenders build it cheap or don't build it at all mentality, and im sick of seeing the same dam jazz and pre with no innovation for a decade or so. so i like to think outside the triangle around the box but still with in the limits of the circle.

don't mean to sound pissy or just plain pissed off, but im strung out on gatorade  right know.
sorry in advance.

I was just playing the game with you, and giving you hard time (after all, you did start it with, "what's a Fender?").  Considering, I'm a Hendrix fan, you almost broke me with "how'd he die again? shot on stage right?"  LOL, that was good  :)

well hay it hurt me to, i love pantera and it kinnda sucks that he was killed like he was and the fans did nothing.  i like hendrix to but its not my generation, so it takes second seat.
speaking of this it makes me think, all my favorite bands disbanded or some one died before i could ride the trend.  alice in chains: layne stayle death by overdose.  nirvana  kurt cobain death by od murder|/suicide,  pantera dimebag death by being stuck down by a skinhead and in the middle of a face melting solo.  system of a down, "hiatus" do to guitarist biching.  smashing pumpkins reunion.  psycho stick not that famouse.

im only 17 and all my favorites are kinda all said and done.

witch brings me to my next point, it seems i like the trend setters and not the trends, im a huge music critic and only go for the revolutionary. like the beastie boys, i hate rap, but they kick ass, it doesn't matter how big your rims are, its the music. (cheesy)

Back to the topic...

Hendrix and SRV are clearly notorious for their strat tones and I have a lot of time for both.

Clapton, for me not so much. His strat doesn't remind me of the classic strat tone, but he has the mid-boost cuircut CB mentioned.

My all time favourite strat tone is John Frusciante (clean & dirty) and I also like Alex Turner's dirty strat tone (Arctic Monkeys - not known in US, but very big in UK).

I don't recall anyone mentioning Hank Marvin.  The classic Shadows tone had a lot of influence.  Of course, this is more than a generation before my time.  Even in 2004 he still sounded good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x2SojQ1XNI

[youtube=425,350]6x2SojQ1XNI[/youtube]
FYI: 

To embed a video, use the YouTube forum tag like so:
Code:
[youtube=425,350]6x2SojQ1XNI[/youtube]

Phrygian said:
I don't recall anyone mentioning Hank Marvin.  The classic Shadows tone had a lot of influence.  Of course, this is more than a generation before my time.  Even in 2004 he still sounded good:

IMO, probably the best surf-ish tone I can think of. Good choice, I never would have though to put him on my list.

1 armed joe mcgilicuty of the mcgilicuty inexperiences.  he could strum for days, as a matter of fact thats all he could do.
very bad left hook.

Dudes.....I'm surprised no-one mentioned Thomas Blug. A few years ago he was voted best Strat player in Europe by Fender. He endorses Hughes and Kettner amps and is part of their R&D since he is also into electronics. But I bought my Switchblade 100 because of the tones he produces.(Awesome amp). His main axe is a vintage '61 cream strat. Youtube him, I'm sure you will be impressed.

Ted said:
Back to the topic...

Hendrix and SRV are clearly notorious for their strat tones and I have a lot of time for both.

Clapton, for me not so much. His strat doesn't remind me of the classic strat tone, but he has the mid-boost cuircut CB mentioned.

My all time favourite strat tone is John Frusciante (clean & dirty) and I also like Alex Turner's dirty strat tone (Arctic Monkeys - not known in US, but very big in UK).

Have to agree with the frusciante reference. Read a great interview with John where he talked about tone and said his main influence was none other than Hank Marvin! The quote went something like "I try to take a really thin, nasally sounding guitar sound like the the bridge pickup of a strat or Mustang and play it through a very bassy amp, like a fender bassman with the bass turned high up and the treble rolled down".

I can't remember where I read that but its really stayed with me. I love the sound of my bridge SD quarter pounder (very trebly) through a valve amp with the bass increased. It just sounds so powerful without using distortion.

Back