Favorite cabs?

JamesL

So i was wondering, what are some of your favorite cabs?

I've played hundreds in my life and own 3 guitar cabs.

In general I like most 212's but i'm a lot more picky about 412's

over the years i've adopted 2 favorites The Bogner Uberkab and either of the Krank cabs.

I'm not refering to speakers, but the cabs themselves

I've got a Mesa 4x12.  The only other cabs I frequently use are a no-name and a Marshall that are at my practice space.  I don't have any preference... of course I've never done an A/B.

I love  the 2 Avatar 212's I own.  I've got one loaded with a Vintage 30/G12H30 combo, and the other with dual AlNiCo Blues.  They're both Traditional Customs with black tolex and Fender grills. 

As much as I love the sound of the Blues, for most of the stuff I play, the V30/G12H30 cab is more appropriate.  It has a much deeper sound that positively roars with drive, but is round and sweet when played clean.

The Blues cab is very bright and jangly with much less low end than the V30/G12H30.  I love it for rhythm work with single coil guitars for that classic 60's sound.  I also like to use it for leads when I want a very creamy OD that slices right through the mix.  However, in the band I'm in right now, I play 90% of the electric rhythm guitar, and the V30/G12H30 amp fills out the sound MUCH better for that, and a better ensemble sound is more important to me than having an awesome tone myself.

Your new favourite cabs could well be..... http://www.mongotone.co.uk/custocabs.htm

Choose your weapon.
I'm seriously considring getting Marc to build me a head cab for my Marshall Plexi clone.....

:icon_thumright:

Wow. One of those, with a tweed-like grille, would fit my butterscotch blond tele so well.

You should get them to make a cab, Jim! That flame mahogany looks awesome.

Max said:
Wow. One of those, with a tweed-like grille, would fit my butterscotch blond tele so well.

You should get them to make a cab, Jim! That flame mahogany looks awesome.

Good innit?

I'm considering this.........(the one attached)
Marc already has it built and it'd fit my amp chassis with a few very minor mods

Sorry.........Off Topic ! !

Kinda like Orange amps, but with less red.

I hope. Otherwise, my entire life has been wrong as far as colors go.

I have a 1999 Fender custom shop Tone-Master 4x12 loaded with Celestion vintage 30's.  Blonde with oxblood grillcloth.  I bought it used in 2000.  It is the best sounding cabinet I have ever personally used.  I will never get rid of it.  Even though it has one caster that falls out some times which pisses me off.  I also have a fender 2x12 that my Bassman head can piggyback on top of, but it has more in the "cool looking department" than in the "sounds great department", and I will probably be ridding myself of that particular piece of gear soon.  I'm not too sure what you meant when you said the cabinet itself, not the speakers, as I have never really played through a cabinet that didn't have speakers, but doesn't seem like it would sound very good.   

jimh said:
ildar said:

Yellow??   :icon_scratch:

The Yellow cab, capitalized because that's the name the company eventually adopted. Here in the US, a "cab" is a car for hire (taxi), useful in congested or unfamiliar areas.

After years of switching gear in and out, this is the current cab set up. I have a 4X12 from Orange which is practically indestructible. I have a Mahogany Studio 1X10 cab from emery sound  http://www.emerysound.com/Cabinets.html which warms up pretty nice  :) especially with a tone tubby hemp cone in there. http://www.tonetubby.com/tc.html . And last I also have a stock Vox 2X12 extension cab loaded with the necessary Celestion Alnico Blues. For high gain and pure volume the Orange works for me, The EmerySound is my (eventual) clean recording cab, and the Vox is right there for a gig with whatever small head happens to be around. Now maybe something or other will change along the line, but I'm very happy with what I have now.

For me...  oh... the bigger size Dual Showman cabinet with a pair of JBL 15's in it .... never ceased to amaze all.

That said, even the smaller size Bandmaster cabinet with 2x12 Oxfords is a nice cabinet.

On Marshall....the straight front cabinet does it for me with Vintage 30's.  That is a really hard combination to beat for all around playing.  All the vintage and reissue speakers have their niche, but for a cabinet that can be called on to do all things well...  four Vintage 30's handling 200+ watts or just 15 watts, indoors, outdoors... you name it, and choose the music style, and it does it really well.  Some do better at one thing, but heck... all three of those I mentioned are masters of versatility.

-CB- said:
For me...  oh... the bigger size Dual Showman cabinet with a pair of JBL 15's in it .... never ceased to amaze all.

That said, even the smaller size Bandmaster cabinet with 2x12 Oxfords is a nice cabinet.

On Marshall....the straight front cabinet does it for me with Vintage 30's.  That is a really hard combination to beat for all around playing.  All the vintage and reissue speakers have their niche, but for a cabinet that can be called on to do all things well...  four Vintage 30's handling 200+ watts or just 15 watts, indoors, outdoors... you name it, and choose the music style, and it does it really well.  Some do better at one thing, but heck... all three of those I mentioned are masters of versatility.

So You like the oversized cabs?

The Krank I have is over sized... I find it makes the dirty sounds much bigger.

Have I mentions thats one of the selling points for Krank amps for me?
except the heads are $1600 and the cabs are a grand.

I got my Krank Rev cab for 550$

Via musicians friend scratch and dent sale.
:headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :rock-on:

JamesL said:
-CB- said:

So You like the oversized cabs?

Fender made at least three different Showman cabinets - the Showman 1x15, the Dual Showman 2x15 (smaller) and the Dual Showman 2x15 (larger).  Funny thing is - the larger cabinet did not come into the market until...about 1969/1970,  beyond the true "golden years" of Fender amps, really, in the dark days when they had to begin undoing the dread CBS modded circuits.  However the 2x15 big Dual Showman cabinet, as you got with a Dual Showman Reverb head, was really a great cabinet for either guitar or bass.  The JBLs handled bass, no problem at all, and a bass player might well use a Dual Showman Reverb (or just Dual Showman) head, and a pair of those big 2x15 cabinets.  That was untouchable on stage, except maybe by a well tuned SVT and a pair of those 8x10 half open cabinets.

I have seen the BIG cabinet cut in half and used as a 1x15.  It works.  Its a deep box, really tight bass.

The Bandmaster cabinet is a sleeper... I've got one, and I cant think ever parting with it

Dude... Krank cabs for sure are my fav! and Marshall 1960's. (I have an old one with G12T 100watt celestions in it, as opposed to the new 75watt ones, and it's my fav cab hands down, even over the Krank)

Back