Faux archtop jazz guitar?

Walther

Hmm. My current parts order has not even arrived, yet here I am thinking about another body option... Eep. (Did I act too hastily with the order? Or should I just build another one?)

I'm wondering if it would be possible to build a chambered or solid-body electric guitar with the aesthetic of an archtop. See e.g.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST9dZvVxBW4[/youtube].

Pale, clear-coated flame maple top, hardtail bridge (perhaps even a wooden one), floating neck pickup or a completely hidden pickup system, etc - but without the price tag and humidity-temperature-climate risks of an actual archtop, not to forget the chonky size.

How could the bridge be made to work? As far as I understand, most of the archtops and their bridges use and require a tilted neck? What about the finish - on a quick glance at the showcase, even the non-vintage-tint clear finished maple tops seem to have a fair bit of a tint - eg.
pt7893A.jpg

https://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?Body=2&Path=Spotlight&lamTop=7&i=pt7893

The correct answer -- finances permitting -- is ALWAYS "build another one."

I think whether it's feasible to generate a guitar with "archtop aesthetics" depends really on what you consider that to mean.  You can get a hollow carve-top Tele or VIP or Mooncaster, and sometimes you can even get a spruce top.  Bear in mind the hollow bodies Warmoth makes are actually routed out of a solid blank, rather than assembled. Other considerations: The high bridge on an ebony or other hardwood plinth might require a greater neck angle than Warmoth is tooled up to supply, but you can always call and ask.  If you know exactly what angle you need, you can also get the body and neck and then engage a competent luthier (not just a tech, but someone who actually has woodworking skills) to do the customizing.  You might also need to have a tailpiece custom-made to suit the dimensions of the Warmoth body, since they are comparatively short on real estate in the lower bout south of the bridge.  I suppose you could also really go nuts for the old-school dynamic and affix the pickup to a bracket attached to the neck, if you want a magnetic pickup, or you could wire a piezo/Ghost system if you want an acoustic-looking vibe.

In any event, it seems a worthwhile exploration, and only you can decide if the complexity and cost would be worth it.  Looking forward to seeing how you develop this idea.

A friend of mine once said, "Never miss an opportunity to start a new project. You can finish them at any time."

:icon_thumright:

I guess the biggest question is how do some of those archtop builders get that super clear and pale finish, without turning the flame maple into a strong shade of orange or yellow 🤔

Walther said:
I guess the biggest question is how do some of those archtop builders get that super clear and pale finish, without turning the flame maple into a strong shade of orange or yellow 🤔

Avoiding using stains or dyes and other finish elements that do that. Also it is possible to bleach wood prior to finishing.

Start with the lightest colored wood you can source,  or,  as noted above,  you can bleach the wood.  Use water- white finishes. Many oil or solvent based finishes will yellow over time.  Some waterborne finishes, such as Crystalac and General Finishes Enduro, will not.

Back