Fatback vs Boatneck, which is closer to Richie Kotzen Tele's (Large C) neck?

sfehlandt

Hi all, I am Sebastián from Chile,

Around 4 months ago I got a Richie Kotzen Signature Telecaster which has a "Large C" neck. I think it is supposed to be 1 inch thick but measured it and it's around 0.918 inches at the first fret and 0.975 at the 12th fret.

Anyway. I have been thinking about ordering a Roasted Maple Warmoth neck for my strat (a 91 American Standard). Since I love the big chunky neck of the RK tele (I have large hands), I am wondering which profile is closer to the RK's, the Fatback or the Boatneck?
I checked the Warmoth's neck profile page (https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/BackContours.aspx) and I rounded my search to those to options.

Also, is the boatneck still round and just a little skinnier on the shoulders than the fatback? or is it closer to a V neck than a C neck?

Not sure if this matters, but I am recovering from a tendonitis on my left (fretting hand) thumb. And I am trying to get used to put my thumb at the side of the neck instead of on the back, as this forces me to not put all the pressure on my thumb.

Anyway, I would appreciate any help you can give me on this matter.

Cheers!

Welcome! The Boatneck definitely has a more V shape than C, the Fatback (slightly thicker than yours) or 59 Roundback (slightly thinner) would probably be closer.

Bienvenido.  Mira a que Phil dijo.  Disculpame pero mi  espanol est feo  para falta de practicar .  Mi favorito es el Wolfgang, me gusta mucho.

Hi everyone, thank you for your responses.

@ragamuffin: thanks, have you tried the Boatneck? What do you think of it? Although it looks more V than the Fatback, it also looks considerably less pointy than the Clapton, which is similar to a Fender's Soft V. Does the Boatneck feel more like the Clapton or more like a round neck?

@PhilHill: thanks, I have read that page but the neck profile shape drawing only gives you some insights of how it is, but not necessarily how it feels in your hands. I just edited my original post to clarify I have read it before

@rick2: gracias!

Hi, I have a boatneck, fatback, and Clapton from Warmoth. Apparently I have medium to large hands. To me the boatneck is very comfortable but definitely feels like a V like the Clapton does rather than a round neck profile. The fatback is an almighty piece of timber that I wanted to try and I like it but it does make me play a little slower, which works fine for the blues music I like. The fatback is like a huge C shape.

Between the three I think the boatneck is the most comfortable. But if you like thin necks it is on the thick side for sure. If I had it to do again I would have gotten a Standard Thin or another boatneck rather than the Clapton as I was trying to match a USACG neck with a .87 soft V on another guitar. The Clapton was different more than it was similar.

Hope that helps.

Thanks @musicispeace.

Mmm I am curious I have never tried a V neck. Maybe I'll find a AVRI 52 Tele to give a big V neck a try before making a decision.
Otherwise I think I'll just go for the fatback, worst case scenario I can still sand it down a little (right?)

On a related topic, I have seen a lot of love to Roasted Maple burnished necks so I might give that a try, but what should I do with the fretboard (also Roasted maple), which kind of finish should I give to it?

Thanks!

sfehlandt said:
... but what should I do with the fretboard (also Roasted maple), which kind of finish should I give to it?

Just like rosewood doesn’t have a finish, imho, roasted maple doesn’t need one.

Que Lorgrinn dijo, pintura no es necessario.  Es el whole punto de maple asado.

sfehlandt said:
Thanks @musicispeace.

Mmm I am curious I have never tried a V neck. Maybe I'll find a AVRI 52 Tele to give a big V neck a try before making a decision.
Otherwise I think I'll just go for the fatback, worst case scenario I can still sand it down a little (right?)

On a related topic, I have seen a lot of love to Roasted Maple burnished necks so I might give that a try, but what should I do with the fretboard (also Roasted maple), which kind of finish should I give to it?

Thanks!

Excellent decision to find a v neck to try out first before deciding! If you decide on a fatback I can say I like the fatback as its a great big c shape and you can modify it but do your research before any of that if you decide to. The fatback definitely fills the palm of one's hand.

Fretboards on roasted maple necks should not need a finish. I think regular maple is the only fret board that is regularly finished by manufacturers. Roasted maple is very smooth and does not require a finish and can be even more so with burnishing. My two roasted maple necks are unfinished. The only reason to put something on those necks would be if your body oils from your hands make your guitar necks messy.

Back