F holes

AcrylicSuperman

I wanted to throw out the idea of maybe offering some alternative F holes. For example, the trini lopez style diamond holes could be cool to see. Maybe even others.

Thought I would throw this suggestion out there and see if other forumites have any additional suggestions.

AcrylicSuperman said:
I wanted to throw out the idea of maybe offering some alternative F holes. For example, the trini lopez style diamond holes could be cool to see. Maybe even others.

new-killer-star said:
Also please, please, please offer bound f-holes.

f6d060b26b75ec4362112f957fe20bc1.jpg

I really haven't paid much attention in all these years, but aren't body sound holes usually painted on the edges rather than bound? Just going by what I know about binding, I gotta think trying to bind an F-hole would be a major league pain the shorts. Even headstocks are a nightmare, and you have access to all that surface.

It goes both ways.  I had an Ibanez AS73 (your basic ES 335 ripoff) with bound F-holes, and that's not a high-end guitar.  By the same token, I've seen cheapies and even some kinda-fancy axes where they're painted on.  I think it's mostly the former - actual plastic binding. I imagine for CNC-cut F-holes, you could jig up bindings for them pretty consistently at a cost that wouldn't make you blanch - but the additional cost of working up the process and tooling and QC and so on might be difficult to recover on a reasonable amortized basis for a comparatively small manufacturer like Warmoth. 

Just my ramblings, and hardly the word of God.

Y'll have fun out there.

Cagey said:
I really haven't paid much attention in all these years, but aren't body sound holes usually painted on the edges rather than bound? Just going by what I know about binding, I gotta think trying to bind an F-hole would be a major league pain the shorts. Even headstocks are a nightmare, and you have access to all that surface.

Have you seen how Music Man "installs" their binding? If not, it will change the way you think about installing binding, and could be an easy solution for bound f-holes.

Jump to 10:44
[youtube]https://youtu.be/Q_oXBvr8AhU?t=644[/youtube]

Jump to 2:06
[youtube]https://youtu.be/6uXbgqCrtZM?t=126[/youtube]

As far as Warmoth actually doing other f-hole shapes or bound f-holes....we've put r&d time into it, but have not found a way to make it work at a price that people will pay for parts.

Those last eight words are the key.

Warmoth is capable of MANY things that we don't offer, because people will generally not pay the big bucks for parts that they will for a fully-built guitar.

Thanks, that was quite fascinating. I got stuck watching the whole videos, of course. What fine work but I can see why Warmoth doesn't get into that binding method.

Net trick on the binding at EB. Not really binding, doing it that way, but then very little binding is necessary these days - it's almost always just decorative, so that's fine.

Wow, EB was truly thinking outside the box when they came up with that! I'm thinking that might be doable in a home brew body. Food for thought...  :glasses9:

Actually, Rickenbacker has been doing that with the neck inlays for decades.  Don't know if they do it with the body binding however, but the binding was pretty perfect on my Ricks...

Bagman67 said:
It goes both ways...

Here's a demonstration from my wall - Duesenberg on the left with non strip binding. Gretsch Falcon on the right with super cool non-painted sparkle binding. Both look really good.

And I understand that I'm probably the exception that is willing to pay for binding on 'parts' - but only because I consider my Warmoth guitars real guitars (not just parts).  Pretty sure paying for that would still be cheaper than the Duesenberg or the Gretsch.

ST96nPS.jpg

To me, a cost effective alternative and a structural alternative to traditional binding would be the Warmoth Clear Masked Binding for an F-Hole.  There is far less risk, but again, someone is going to have to pay for it.

new-killer-star said:
Bagman67 said:
It goes both ways...

Here's a demonstration from my wall - Duesenberg on the left with non strip binding. Gretsch Falcon on the right with super cool non-painted sparkle binding. Both look really good.

And I understand that I'm probably the exception that is willing to pay for binding on 'parts' - but only because I consider my Warmoth guitars real guitars (not just parts).  Pretty sure paying for that would still be cheaper than the Duesenberg or the Gretsch.

ST96nPS.jpg
Nice. I can appreciate as I have a StarPlayer TV and a White Falcon

Cagey said:
Well you could bind the F hole before the top was applied to the body, but that's not cost effective in the rapid manufacturing process.. :dontknow:

The Aaron said:
Cagey said:

Have you seen how Music Man "installs" their binding? If not, it will change the way you think about installing binding, and could be an easy solution for bound f-holes.

Jump to 10:44
[youtube]https://youtu.be/Q_oXBvr8AhU?t=644[/youtube]

Jump to 2:06
[youtube]https://youtu.be/6uXbgqCrtZM?t=126[/youtube]
Cool video, but two issues. One, you're limited to a single color on the binding. And two, this guy obviously doesn't know what .010" of an inch is.

Back