Excellent post on spray gun setup and use

bagman67

Epic Member
Ran across this today.  For folks who have a hankerin' to embrace the hell of finishing using conventional compressor and spraygun equipment, this may be useful:

https://howardguitars.blogspot.com/2015/06/spray-gun-setup-technique-by-brian.html

That was a good article, Ian. Thanks for that.

A number of years back, I bought a compressor for using my air tools and spray guns as a plan to touch up my airplane after modifications and repairs. I painted a 1940 Ford pickup in the hangar with it and came out quite good. Then, when it came time to touch up small repairs and sheetmetal work from converting the airplane to a taildragger, I did it with Preval sprayers because they were easier to work with. LOL. For a large project, I'd still use a sprayer but for something the size of a guitar, naw.

I once read someone's redditorsomethingother, about how to carefully size your air compressor. XYZ CFM, based on expected usage, hoped usage, duty cycle, buying quality tools vs cheap tools, etc... and then 99.99% of the time I use it for blowing crap outta stuff.

Ran across this today.  For folks who have a hankerin' to embrace the hell of finishing using conventional compressor and spraygun equipment, this may be useful

I know Brian from the Official Luthiers Forum, and he's THE STUFF. One of the best finishers around.

Damn, that's a lot of information. I think the most helpful tidbit for me is at the very end: " If you find all this a bit overwhelming there are those of us out there who will do this part of the job for you."

Warmoth's finishing looks like an even better deal after reading that!  :icon_thumright:

Thanks for posting that, Bagman!  :yourock:

That's a helpful link for those of us who just got a cheap purple Harbor Freight spray gun.

Back