evh pickup

haven't used one obviously... seems a little pricey to me, but what do I know? It's cheaper than Seymour Duncan's '78 pickup.

"...and serves as a great upgrade and alternative to the popular crop of cliché replacement humbuckers"

Ha! Am I alone in finding this sentence hilarious?

Although I haven't tried this pup nor the SD '78, I say, "pure hype".

I'll bet you'd get very close results (just pickup-wise, mind you) using a good vintage-output PAF repro.

I was on a board once where every other topic was "Eddie Tone This" or "Eddie Tone That"... some info was interesting,
some was pure BS.  Even Terry Kilgore chimed in with his knowledge.  The thing that most seem to forget when it comes
to getting the "Brown Sound" is the stuff Ted Templeman did in the studio; esp. on the 1st album.

Personally I think it's kinda cool.  If it's the same PU they're actually using in the $25K EVH Frankenstein, and Eddie's swears the reproduction is basically idenitcal to the original, then... cool.  Hype or bullshit, who knows.  It should end the debate about which PU to choose if you're ever making a frankenstein copy.

erik

What did he use originally?  He's known for his licks and tone (or overuse of effects), but his early guitars always struck me as a "I'll grab this and make this work" kind of thing.  They were (literally) stripped down to the bare essentials.  Even his Kramer that he "designed" consisted of him visiting the factory and looting unfinished parts that he assembled later.  So a pickup to his exacting specs, what does that mean?  Did he spec one originally, or did he just grab a Gibson hum and throw it in there, and this is that one?

I got 2 on the way, one to use, and one to reverse engineer

I got two more frankenstrats I'm gonna start on when the weather warms up, i got the parts already, just need to paint, I'll post a "How to" thread as I go

Trying so desperately to get someone else's sound has never been on my agenda. 

Max said:
From what I've heard, he grabbed a Gibson 335 pup and wax potted it.

he also supposedly rewound it - but Ed was master of misinformation back in the day - he even lied about his age.

I dont think its any better with info these days.  I read a rumor where someone at EB had taken a reading of the pickup on a meter and got to zero resistance. 

Here's the only facts I can find that are from a reputable source.  Its subcontracted to Seymour Duncan to be made in their custom shop.  These specs come from them, but they don't tell you a lot.

Seymour Duncan '78 Model
Magnet: Fully Charged Alnico 2
Wire: Plain Enamel
DCR: ~ 9.0K

EVH Frankenstein
Magnet: Degaussed Alnico 2
Wire: Poly
DCR: ~ 14K

I know they mention Frankenstein in the description but it's my guess that it's the pickup they designed to put in the new Wolfgang guitar.

I love VanHalen beyond anything I can put into words, and his tone is just "it", but I can't see myself dropping that kind of money one of those right now.

I'd rather be myself anyway.

Pathetic - Homo sapiens is one species that deserves to go extinct. :hello2: "Get yours before they're gone — order now!" Oh - O.K.

There's a sucker born every minute...And there most likely be plenty of idiots to pony up the dough for it...I tend to agree with thumb, I just prefer to be myself...

Yo Danger, while your busy being yourself, let those idiots like me, be ourselves too, and don't worry about how much of my money I spend on a pickup.

I wind my pups, and I buy other people pups too, I'm sure when alls said and done and I have bought my 2 EVH pups, I'll still have more disposable income than you, But thanks anyway for your concern

Everybody calm down and put your W2s up.  To each his own.

Nothing evokes more emotional reaction than the words "distressed" or "relic."  We might as well talk religion or politics.

Back