Environmental safe/ethical woods

stratamania said:
Interesting I have a pallet in my garage that's seasoned nicely. Been meaning to make a Tele body with it one of these days.
Laminate that stuff up and cut that dude out. I think it's a cool idea.

My pine build
http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=23958.0
http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=24107.msg351287#msg351287

I have a Vibracell Switch that is a one-piece celluloid composite thingamajig.  Sounds ok, sustains for days. 

rgand said:
stratamania said:
Interesting I have a pallet in my garage that's seasoned nicely. Been meaning to make a Tele body with it one of these days.
Laminate that stuff up and cut that dude out. I think it's a cool idea.

Thanks it will get done. I need to get in my garage more this coming year. First big project will be a workbench. 

While I respect Taylor for their conservation efforts, here's some (slightly NSFW) reasons why I won't ever be buying one ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHzwKjpRDz4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfv7FOoYpos[/youtube]

GilgaFrank said:
While I respect Taylor for their conservation efforts, here's some (slightly NSFW) reasons why I won't ever be buying one ...

OK, have to comment and since this is a Warmoth forum, I will limit it to one comment in something I consider way off topic. But I can't let this stand.

If you use an isolated youtube video to inform your opinion on something, you're in danger of being horribly misinformed.

I can find these symptoms on an isolated sample of any brand of guitar. You have no idea how this guitar may have been misused as well as what humidity history it has. This guitar spent its life in Canada, and I'm highly suspicious that this guitar has suffered through many low humidity winters in Canada without proper humidification.

Why do I think this is possible and/or likely? Because the symptoms are familiar for this type of misuse and because these symptoms do not reflect the massive volume of Taylor guitars out there. I've played/inspected dozens of them, seen several hundred and have owned a number.

Let's not let snobbery get in the way of facts. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.......

Guitarsan said:
GilgaFrank said:

OK, have to comment and since this is a Warmoth forum, I will limit it to one comment in something I consider way off topic. But I can't let this stand.

If you use an isolated youtube video to inform your opinion on something, you're in danger of being horribly misinformed.

I can find these symptoms on an isolated sample of any brand of guitar. You have no idea how this guitar may have been misused as well as what humidity history it has. This guitar spent its life in Canada, and I'm highly suspicious that this guitar has suffered through many low humidity winters in Canada without proper humidification.

Why do I think this is possible and/or likely? Because the symptoms are familiar for this type of misuse and because these symptoms do not reflect the massive volume of Taylor guitars out there. I've played/inspected dozens of them, seen several hundred and have owned a number.

Let's not let snobbery get in the way of facts. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.......

I must agree sir.  Also, inspecting a guitar laying on its back and measuring the action when the bulk of the weight of the guitar is supported by the neck, is not the best way to measure the action.  Sure, it could still be high, on this particular guitar, but I still find that the most practical way of measuring the action is in the playing position.  Resting the weight on the neck like that is of course going to bring the strings higher. 

This could just be one bad apple, it doesn't ruin the whole bunch.

I've had a few Taylors come across my bench, and most of them required little action on my part.  If anything, they were reasonably newer players with $$ and the job was an overpaid string change and maybe a 1/16th of a turn of a truss rod.  The high build and setup quality of Taylor's have been very consistent both on the bench as well as on the retail rack.

I may not prefer the smaller neck on them, like I used to, but that's "Me" making a subjective change for my own evolving needs as I age.  It's no reflection on the quality of instrument.

I'll pile on. All the Taylors I've seen/played/owned have been stellar examples of the craft, and I'd highly recommend them to anyone. First choice, always.

GilgaFrank said:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHzwKjpRDz4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfv7FOoYpos[/youtube]

Any acoustic guitar can have these issues.  I just fixed my buddies $4000 Martin.  It had the same bulge this Taylor did.  It was a humidity issue.  It was being kept in a VERY dry environment and warped the wood.  A few days with a humidifier and it was fine.  Maybe check the humidity and neck alignment and the issue will be resolved.

I have a 500 series taylor with a Cedar top and the thing to ROCK solid.  I also have a $400 ibanez and will challenge most other higher end guitars in playability.  I do however prefer the sound of my taylor.  Like Buttah' :guitarplayer2:

DMRACO, I also have an Ibanez Acoustic, a 2000 Artwood series.  It retailed for more than most of today's Artwood series at about $600, but it's been a very consistent player for 16 years.  Spruce top, Mahogany back, sides, and neck, rosewood fingerboard, corian nut, Equis preamp (OEM by Fishman when you pull it out)

The only modification that has been done to it, is I replaced the bridge pins with brass ones right away, and I replaced the battery box about 2 years ago from normal wear & tear.  The latch had worn to the point that it wouldn't latch closed anymore.

Only string changes from there. 

Guitarsan said:
GilgaFrank said:

I love Dave's World of Fun Stuff, but.. I've seen him slagging off RickerBockers (sic) for a whole list of reasons, some fair, some less so*. Then seeing these sometimes bizarre opinions stated as facts by other people.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR--0QSLQPg[/youtube]

*he missed the fact the 4001's Bridge built slightly too close to the nut, but stuff like they break strings lolwut? As the kidz apparently say.

It's times like this when one really misses one of the great voices of moderation in guitar opinion, the late Ed Roman (RIP).

Hehe! I remember the first time I read one of his rants, I thought I was reading some parody from The Onion or some such.

Concerning the original topic - with perhaps a few exceptions I don't think guitars and/or other musical instruments amount to much at all in terms of overall usage of wood.

drewfx said:
Concerning the original topic - with perhaps a few exceptions I don't think guitars and/or other musical instruments amount to much at all in terms of overall usage of wood.

Guitars and Guns, some of the largest consumers of exotic woods.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
drewfx said:

I would like to learn more. Do you have a source for this?

My understanding is the single biggest use of exotic wood is furniture, and the single biggest user is China. A little Googling didn't reveal much in the way of hard numbers.

double A said:
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
drewfx said:

I would like to learn more. Do you have a source for this?

My understanding is the single biggest use of exotic wood is furniture, and the single biggest user is China. A little Googling didn't reveal much in the way of hard numbers.

Just other luthiers, friends.  I could totally see furniture being in that arena though now that it's mentioned.

Back