Environmental safe/ethical woods

From what I've been able to find, furniture and flooring/molding are by far the largest consumers of exotic/imported hardwoods. Although musical instruments use the stuff, they're tiny pieces and don't amount to much.

I've looked a little more, and it's tough to find solid figures. The things most sources seem to agree on are that the biggest uses for exotic woods are furniture and flooring, and that 40%-50% of all exotic wood now harvested is headed for China. And, of course, that massive demand has exacerbated illegal harvesting.

Cagey said:
From what I've been able to find, furniture and flooring/molding are by far the largest consumers of exotic/imported hardwoods. Although musical instruments use the stuff, they're tiny pieces and don't amount to much.

Agreed. I was just going to post that, although I support an awareness of and trying to contribute toward good use of resources as a guitar consumer, the biggest issue with wood is Chinese factories illegally importing all sorts of stuff and making furniture and flooring out of it. I do agree with people needing to get past the black-only ebony fixation. Wood looks like wood. Deal with it. That's my two cents worth.

Cagey said:
Hehe! I remember the first time I read one of his rants, I thought I was reading some parody from The Onion or some such.

"Ed Roman baptised in water, I will Baptise in Fire"

5kl64-gif.11366

But it return to the original question I believe Rickenbacker are apparently quite proud of the 'American farm-grown sustainable woods' that they use. 

Good for them eh?

Here's an interesting alternate to Ebony.

http://www.rocklite.co.uk

Rocklite blacker than black.

Back