EMG wiring: 3-SA, 1V, SPC (mid boost)

Bruno

In one of my guitars I have 3 EMG SA pup, 1V,1T.
Usually I don't use tone pot (always 10, fully open) so I'm thinking about a SPC. Better: replacing tone pot with SPC pot.
But I don't know if it's a good choice...
For ex. I have a doubts: full open pot (actve pups) = no pot?
Ok now I don't want use tone pot but after I can't use it!
Suggestions?

Thanks

Bruno said:
In one of my guitars I have 3 EMG SA pup, 1V,1T.
Usually I don't use tone pot (always 10, fully open) so I'm thinking about a SPC. Better: replacing tone pot with SPC pot.
But I don't know if it's a good choice...
For ex. I have a doubts: full open pot (actve pups) = no pot?
Ok now I don't want use tone pot but after I can't use it!
Suggestions?

Thanks

If you don't use it, then replace it with something you'd use. You can always put it back if you change your mind.

I use the tone pot once in a while, but if the question is SPC or tone pot pick the SPC and don't look back. I for one find it more useful than the traditional LPF.

Ok, good advide thanks.
But has anyone tried (and can confirm me) that: pot value 10 = without pot? Or without tone pot I'll have an increase of high frequencies?

There is a mild increase without a tone pot, hence all the guys doing the no-load tone controls. But If you want that, a 220k or 470k resistor and the appropriate tone cap (what you would've used, or what you're removing) will make it identical to tone pot rolled up all the way.

If the resistance of the pot is high enough, the capacitor is effectively removed from the circuit, give the impedance of the signal. There is no difference between a high value pot at "10" and simply removing the tone control.

swarfrat said:
There is a mild increase without a tone pot, hence all the guys doing the no-load tone controls. But If you want that, a 220k or 470k resistor and the appropriate tone cap (what you would've used, or what you're removing) will make it identical to tone pot rolled up all the way.

Note that EMGs have a much lower output impedance than passive pickups. (These are active models, right?)
You would want a 25k or 50k pot. Some use 100k pots.
A 25k tone pot is best simulated by a 22k resistor, or perhaps even a 33k resistor.

true dat - I was engrossed in my Mean 90's looking at doing a buffered dummy coil when I wrote that.

Actually, - since we're talking EMG's the loading effect of the passive tone control may not be as appreciable either.

I have *old* EMG (no solderless): those with quick connector cable but which still must be solded on volume and tone pot (25K).
Now...I don't remember value capacitor (.1 ???), but it's stock in emg SA set pups

(Do you know if new solderless emg pups haven't capacitor? I don't found them in pdf emg wiring on website)

Bruno said:
I have *old* EMG (no solderless): those with quick connector cable but which still must be solded on volume and tone pot (25K).
Now...I don't remember value capacitor (.1 ???), but it's stock in emg SA set pups

(Do you know if new solderless emg pups haven't capacitor? I don't found them in pdf emg wiring on website)

EMG typically suggests 0.1uF caps with all of their actives.
This is because the resistance in the filter is lower than with passives, so you need to increase the capacitance a bit to keep the cutoff frequency in a desirable place.

so without capacitor and pot I have some difference? I'm a very very novice about wiring pups :p

Bruno said:
so without capacitor and pot I have some difference? I'm a very very novice about wiring pups :p

If it worries you this much, replace the pot with a fixed resistor, with a value as close as possible to the actual resistance of the pot.

line6man said:
If it worries you this much, replace the pot with a fixed resistor, with a value as close as possible to the actual resistance of the pot.

Just a moment, it's only a question, not an obsession...
Anyway how and where do I solder the capacitor? You have a wiring?

Bruno said:
line6man said:

Just a moment, it's only a question, not an obsession...
Anyway how and where do I solder the capacitor? You have a wiring?

The capacitor goes parallel to the signal path, with a resistor in series with it.

Back