EMG Strat - take 2

DocNrock

Master Member
Back in 2008 I built a "beater" Strat. Swamp Ash with an alpine white finish and a plain quartersawn maple neck.  It was my first one with a 1-5/8" nut width, which I didn't care much for.  But it did have a Floyd and EMG 81/60s, with the 18v mod.  Frank's new Alpine White Velocity with the Afra neck gave me an inspiration, as I had a  spare neck lying around.  Canary, wizard profile, macassar ebony fingerboard, and a 1-11/16" nut.

Soooo...

With my apologies to any sensitive readers I may offend:

tumblr_lww2xgOTvA1qa9ze2o1_500.jpg

Once again, thanks for all the kind words.  This thing went from beater to one of my favorites, overnight.

Gorgeous. I really like black on white as a color scheme too. I think you'll find that you won't want the string retainer though. I took the retainer off the 8 Ball when I added the locking tuners and the tuning stability was dramatically better without it.

@Ancient_owl:  You know it!  :headbang1:

MikeW said:
Gorgeous. I really like black on white as a color scheme too. I think you'll find that you won't want the string retainer though. I took the retainer off the 8 Ball when I added the locking tuners and the tuning stability was dramatically better without it.

Thanks, Mike.  I never thought of taking off the retainer.  I've got one, or string trees, on all of my straight headstock builds.  I'll keep it in mind, though. 

But adding to the black on white theme, just for grins I tried some DR black strings on it. 

Re the string retainers. I feel some clarification may be useful.

This guitar features a locking nut. So not having string trees because you have locking tuners doesn't really apply.

The Floyd type string retainer bar serves a different purpose than string trees on a Strat for example.

On a strat string trees were put on as a means of increasing the break angle over the nut and to stop the higher strings slipping out of the slot of a possibly not so well cut nut. In this case a well cut nut and good locking tuners you can dispense with the string trees.

The purpose of the Floyd type retainer bar if it's installed correctly is to get the strings to follow the angle of the slope of the locknut. This helps so that when you tune without the locknuts tightened down and then tighten them you don't get a pitch difference due to that. Once the locknuts are tightened down the tuners and retainer are effectively not doing anything.

For example if the string retainer is too high the angle will be also, so that when you tighten the lock nuts the strings will go sharp.  Whether you have locking tuners or not on a guitar with a locknut this still holds true. 

The only reason to put locking tuners on a guitar with a locknut is for convenience of string changing but they don't help with break angle or tuning stability.

stratamania said:
The purpose of the Floyd type retainer bar if it's installed correctly is to get the strings to follow the angle of the slope of the locknut. This helps so that when you tune without the locknuts tightened down and then tighten them you don't get a pitch difference due to that. Once the locknuts are tightened down the tuners and retainer are effectively not doing anything.

For example if the string retainer is too high the angle will be also, so that when you tighten the lock nuts the strings will go sharp.  Whether you have locking tuners or not on a guitar with a locknut this still holds true. 

The only reason to put locking tuners on a guitar with a locknut is for convenience of string changing but they don't help with break angle or tuning stability.

Yes and yes.  :icon_thumright:

Black on white guitars is my absolute favorite so you get a million points!!!  :toothy12:

I knew Cederick would have to pipe-in on this one! -Totally his thing! -Great lookin' instrument!

Day-mun said:
I knew Cederick would have to pipe-in on this one! -Totally his thing! -Great lookin' instrument!

Of course!  :toothy12:

Still haven't found one completely with a white painted back of the neck tho. But one day!

Cederick said:
Day-mun said:

Of course!  :toothy12:

Still haven't found one completely with a white painted back of the neck tho. But one day!

Well, build it!  :icon_thumright:

Back