EMG Input Jack help

OrcJuice

Hello all.

I am attempting my first ever guitar build and I've noticed that the input that comes with my EMG pickups does not really fit into the input jack cavity. (I can supply pics if needed later).

My question is: "Do I need to route the hole bigger, or do I need a deep panel stereo jack?"

https://www.warmoth.com/Deep-Panel-Stereo-Jack-Black-P1750.aspx

As always, thank you in advance!

Hi there and welcome.

You should not need to change the hole.  Warmoth 3/4 and 7/8 output jack holes will both work with standard switchcraft jacks, although I personally prefer the 7/8.  Typically a mono jack is installed, but stereo will fit just fine.  The switchcraft part number you are looking for is S12B  (mono version is S11).

I used some EMGs (EMG SL20) and retrofitted the pickups and controls onto a Warmoth pickguard. The output jack supplied also fit without any issues.

What size and type of hole do you have in the body?

stratamania said:

3/4" (19mm). I have been messing around with the jack and hole and I could probably force the input jack in. If I wallow the hole just a little bit, I think I should be good. I'll post a picture soon.

OrcJuice said:
stratamania said:

3/4" (19mm). I have been messing around with the jack and hole and I could probably force the input jack in. If I wallow the hole just a little bit, I think I should be good. I'll post a picture soon.

I went for 7/8" its not much of a difference but makes all of the difference.

OrcJuice said:
stratamania said:

The EMG system utilises a stereo jack which has the extra lug on the jack. That may be the reason why it is tight in the 3/4" hole. Might need to sand or ream the tunnel a bit, to suit.

Is it the outer circumference of the jack that is giving you issues or is it the tabs?  If the latter, you can bend those in slightly to gain you a bit of extra room.

Re-Pete said:
OrcJuice said:
stratamania said:

The EMG system utilises a stereo jack which has the extra lug on the jack. That may be the reason why it is tight in the 3/4" hole. Might need to sand or ream the tunnel a bit, to suit.

Or just bend the lugs in a bit.

Problem solved. Was at my father-in-law's house today and used his 7/8" bit to wallow out the hole. Input jack slides right in without a hitch. Thank you for the help. I'll be posting another topic soon on how to actually wire the pickups since I'm wanting a different config than the diagram provides.

Back