Electrosocket question

scottp

On my first Warmoth Tele build I used the Electrosocket Jack. Love it.

Because of the radius of the body, in order for the jack to sit flush on the wood, I had to do quite a bit of hand sanding to make a perfect fit.

I am getting ready to do my second Tele build again (non-vintage). I am having Warmoth put a finish on this body.
I want to use the Electrosocket jack again. Is there something I need to ask for in the build spec so the jack will fit the body nicely?

Thank you.

Hi there,
If you want it to sit flat with a warmoth finish, your only option is to use a vintage tele body.

Oh man, that is bad news.
I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I know the gap that is there on that radius. 😢

Another alternative - and it's a scary one - is to broaden the end of that 7/8" jack hole with a 1" Forstner bit so the Electrosocket can sit flat against the edges of the recess you will have created. You might wind up with a little exposed wood even if you didn't screw it up - but it can be a classy look when done right. I have seen this done pretty well with a brace-and-bit, which is far less scary and easier to sneak up on than applying a big, fat, sharp, spinning metal object to your new guitar body with an electric motor.

I have never seen a 1" Forstner bit before. Looks like it works best when the hole has not yet been drilled.
Thank you for sharing that!!

I used the standard metal cup on my tele build back in '99/'00.

It didn't fit 100% flat. I beat it up and knocked it around a bit to contour it to work better and appear flush.

My fading memory does not remember how it did it though.

Here’s an option, don’t use the Electrosocket. Use a std high quality Jack and plate of your choice.
While the Electrosocket is well made and attractive, it caused more issues for me. It doesn’t play well with shorting plugs, which my main cords are. I ditched mine.

I had the same issues with the electro socket. Went with plates and a regular jack. I suppose if you could find a curved one ?

Yes, Warmoth has a few options on their site. I bought a few different ones, they aren't expensive.

I did place an order this week for a custom Tele body from Warmoth.
Custom highly figured maple top on 1 piece swamp ash core wood.
In Cherry Burst! I can't wait!! (16 to 18 weeks :oops: but all good!)

I have a standard tele with electrosocket. It doesn't fit perfectly but doesn't bother me. I'd rather have a poorly-fitting socket than a perfectly-fitting plate, but that's just me.

it easy and quicker to use power tool
telejack-3.jpg

telejack-9.jpg
telejack-12.jpg
telejack-4.jpg

This may be more drilling than you would want, but I'm loving this untraditional electrosocket placement...

Attachments

• 311191286_3241252346186586_2777524719892594941.jpg
    311191286_3241252346186586_2777524719892594941.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 12
Hendrix that's clever ... I didn't think of that. Did you dremel all around the hole or just the bottom?

Back