Ebony over Bloodwood Warhead w/ Gold Frets

Looking great Cagey!  I was the previous owner (but not the first).  I got it fully assembled for a steal 5 or 6 years ago and played it the way it was, which wasn't pretty, but it sounded great!  It eventually fell out of favor in my lineup (I'm a single coil guy at heart), and I parted it out to fund my Telecaster build.  It already looks a million times better than when I owned it, and it's churning up a bit of buyers remorse as well...

Anyhoo, here it is in a previous life
VIPShots009.jpg

Thanks! I remember your name now that I see it. Been keeping busy, eh? Haven't seen you on the board in a while.

I'm really looking forward to finishing this as well. It's been a long time coming.

The curl on that Korina really shows up well in the picture you've got there.

Cagey said:
Thanks! I remember your name now that I see it. Been keeping busy, eh? Haven't seen you on the board in a while.

I'm really looking forward to finishing this as well. It's been a long time coming.

The curl on that Korina really shows up well in the picture you've got there.

I had been really busy (full time student, full time job and played music 2 nights a week), but I got burnt out on gigging, got a new, more better job working Fri, Sat, Sun (when I was gigging) and changed my major to Accounting. Now I've got lots of free time, a lot less money, but a lot less stress too.  I still toss around Warmoth ideas, but the sad fact is that I no longer have the cash flow to make them happen; besides, when I WAS gigging, I only ever played my Warmoth Strat or (after I built it) Tele anyway.

You ever finish this one up?  It's been 4 months since the last update (unless you started another thread in WIP that I missed). Just didn't see it in the gallery and was curious.

More or less. I still have to wire it. I was waiting on a battery box, but that's here now so there's no real excuse. Still, here are a couple shots of it...

IMG_2235_Sm.JPG

IMG_2239_Sm.JPG

Thanks. Plays really nice, too. That Ebony over Bloodwood neck is super sweet. The only downside to the whole thing is it's surprisingly heavy, especially considering the body is chambered. It weighs 8.75 lbs. (just shy of 4 Kg), so it's like wearing a Les Paul.

I find that EMGs seem to be pretty heavy. Sounds ridiculous I know but that red strat I just built was from a body well under 4 lbs, and now it's wired up it feels as heavy as any other normal Strat.

Which EMGs are they?

Jumble Jumble said:
I find that EMGs seem to be pretty heavy. Sounds ridiculous I know but that red strat I just built was from a body well under 4 lbs, and now it's wired up it feels as heavy as any other normal Strat.

Which EMGs are they?

No, not ridiculous. You're right; they're potted with epoxy or something like that, so they are kinda heavy. These are some of the old, original EMG-58s. Tough to find any data on them.

In this case, I think I picked up most of the weight in the neck. Ebony and Bloodwood are both pretty dense, plus it's got a dual truss rod and I used Schaller mini-lockers. It weighs exactly 2 pounds, while the Rosewood over Maple "Total Vintage" w/ Klusons I just put on a Jaguar only weighed a pound. That's a substantial adder.

You did a great job with the finish on that VIP.  The Warhead works quite well with the body shape, more than I would've expected really.

Thanks. It was more work than I'd wish on most people, but the results paid it back.

I'm a huge fan of the Warhead. and wish I'd have known earlier that you can get any Strat head re-cut that way. I'd have more of them. It gets rid of the superfluous flourishes of a normal Strat headstock without taking anything away from a good design. Everybody who's seen it in real life asks about it.

I'm starting to think I'm going to have to sell it. Everybody wants to play with it, and the first guy that puts a chip/scratch in it I'm going to have to kill. I'm too old for prison...

You oughta feel it. It's a lusty thing. I broke all the edges like Tonar does with his Maple necks, worked my magic on the frets, then burnished it overall. It's by far the best neck I've ever put my hand around, and I've handled a lotta necks. The only thing I've got that compares is an Ebony over Pau Ferro neck w/ SS frets. They're both real spoilers.

Back