Ebony over Bloodwood Warhead w/ Gold Frets

Yeah, I need one of those pipe threaders too.  Then I could get some of those Bessey Pipe clamps.  You can't get them without proper length pipes to put them on, and it seems a shame to pay to thread the pipes.  So the threader seems only natural to get as well.  And, there are quite a number of other clamps that I never have enough of.  Come to think of it, this tends to be a dangerous to the checkbook type of endeavor.  But, you are right, there never seems to be enough of them when you need a proper clamp.
Patrick

A pipe threader is a fairly expensive tool unless you do a lot of threading. Lowes sells black pipe already threaded in a wide variety of lengths at pretty reasonable prices. In fact, I think they might even thread to length for nothing, or a nominal charge. Kinda like they'll cut large boards and sheet goods for free or cheap, depending on how many cuts you want.

Unless you need some really long clamps (>4'), I find the pipe clamps to be a bit unwieldy because of the weight. I usually don't need anything bigger than what can be had in the Jorgensen "Pony" style bar clamps.

71WK7S5MANL.gif

Thanks! I can't wait to finish it. I've had it sitting out for several days now and it's driving me nuts staring at it. I want to finish that finish so I can assemble it for good, plug it in, and teach it a lesson. But, I got a couple cases coming this week, so I'll get to hide it away and not think about it.

It's update time!

Spent some time over the last few days repairing the damage I did to this body in the late fall, and am to the point where I'm applying build-up coats. Still a lotta flaws, but they'll be resolved...

IMG_1941_Sm.JPG

IMG_1944_Sm.JPG

IMG_1949_Sm.JPG

IMG_1951_Sm.JPG

IMG_1953_Sm.JPG

IMG_1943_Sm.JPG

What I used to shoot the thing

The shots are awfully bright as I moved to direct sun to get these. Normally, that red is much darker.

That's looking mighty fine!  One of these days you might get to hear those EMGs sing in it!

I'm a little anxious to hear those as well. Assuming I don't manage to trash this finish, it'll probably be about 3 weeks or so I'd guess before it gets assembled. Gonna have to wait for the finish to cure, then it'll have to be finish sanded/buffed/polished/assembled/set up.

That body is looking so good. I really need to get cracking on my VIP. I'm envious. :guitaristgif:

It's a very nice body style. Shame to let one sit around rotting. My only concern with this one is going to be the lacquer finish and no pickguard. Lacquer doesn't take abuse anywhere near as well as polyurethane does.

Thanks! It looks even better today. Got rid of the remaining flaws while shooting 3 more build coats.

I'm also getting better as estimating how much retarder to put in the mix. That's special.

Tried something new that worked out well - I used mineral spirits instead of water to wet sand. Could just be my imagination, but it seemed to sand out better.

I also took some advice from a DIY article on the LMII site that said "don't cheap out on sandpaper - keep it fresh" (or words to that effect). Even though the mineral spirits kept the stuff from loading up at all, it still loses its cutting edges after a bit. Changing to a new piece gets things happening again.

Any way, I leveled it out, cleaned it up and re-shot and it's just gorgeous. Weather permitting, I'm going to do one more round tomorrow with some final thin finishing coats, then it'll go hang in storage for a few weeks to contemplate its navel.

I also learned something about latex gloves - it seems they have a shelf life. Let 'em sit too long, and they tear to pieces while putting them on. I wonder if that applies to other body part coverings made of latex?

Wow this looks incredible cagey, and while I had checked it out before, I am surprised to see how well the warhead headstock goes with the VIP body shape.

Man I gotta get me a VIP someday....soooo many guitars I need :laughing7:

Back