Easiest/fastest way to seal bare wood from showcase items?

C

Cederick

If I for example order a strat body and want HSS and recessed Floyd rout, there's going to be a lot of bare wood.

So, what is the easiet way to seal it? Without using spray or something.

Does shielding paint work? It's black, and I want a white strat body... So that may look a bit out of place, not terrible tho.

Give me some advice here :)

If you custom order a body instead of a showcase item, they'll paint the whole thing for you.  Otherwise, I think you can probably cover it with just about anything.  You could even take a tube of acrylic artist's color or tempera just to get some white on top of the bare wood.  No need to settle for a guitar-specific or even woodworking-specific product.

Cederick said:
If I for example order a strat body and want HSS and recessed Floyd rout, there's going to be a lot of bare wood.
So, what is the easiet way to seal it? Without using spray or something.
Does shielding paint work? It's black, and I want a white strat body... So that may look a bit out of place, not terrible tho.

Are you talking about bare wood in the routed cavities, or a completely raw body? If it's only the cavities, I usually just over-mix some dye with alcohol and brush that in with a small artist's brush, if I do anything at all. Doesn't need to be sealed or shielded. Black works best for any body color, if it's to be be painted, as you're basically just trying to hide the cut. With black, it simply has the appearance of a shadow behind the hardware.

There is no need for sealing the wood. Just put black dye in the cavities for aesthetic.

Bagman67 said:
If you custom order a body instead of a showcase item, they'll paint the whole thing for you.  Otherwise, I think you can probably cover it with just about anything.  You could even take a tube of acrylic artist's color or tempera just to get some white on top of the bare wood.  No need to settle for a guitar-specific or even woodworking-specific product.

Yeah I know the whole whing will be paited if custom ordered (have bought both showcase and custom before so I know  :glasses9:) but yeah, thanks a lot. I can probably buy some paint at the local store used for painting aircraft models and stuff. Humbrol

line6man said:
There is no need for sealing the wood. Just put black dye in the cavities for aesthetic.

Well, there's going to be a pickguard, so if the body was originally SSS and I want it HSS then it's not even going to be seen. The floyd rout will be seen, but I would prefer to somehow match it with the body so I will buy some white model paint.

And why would it be a good idea to leave the wood bare? Moisture and humidity and stuff that could ruin the thing if unlycky

Cederick said:
And why would it be a good idea to leave the wood bare? Moisture and humidity and stuff that could ruin the thing if unlycky

I don't think anyone is saying it's a "good idea" to leave it bare, just that it doesn't matter outside of aesthetics.

But it sometimes happens that people dance around like morons with beer on gigs and things can get pretty messy on stage.

I don't wanna have my alder drowning in beer... Or is that healthy for the wood?  :toothy10:

Cederick said:
But it sometimes happens that people dance around like morons with beer on gigs and things can get pretty messy on stage. I don't wanna have my alder drowning in beer... Or is that healthy for the wood?  :toothy10:

Well, considering that some beer tastes like unfiltered leper piss (yeah, we're looking at you, Pabst), then you might be offended. But, you should consider that you are holding an 8lb club with all sorts of sharp protuberances on it and a number of tensilized steel wires under high tension, and use it to beat the offender into a whimpering bloody pulp.

Satisfies your need for vengeance, eliminates a future threat and makes for a great stage show that will almost certainly make it to the cover of the Rolling Stone.

Rolling Stone! (buy 5 copies for your mother)

Or, you could take the pacifist route, and realize that beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy. Your guitar has been blessed by the deity.

Whatever's best for you.

Hahaha I'm not getting anything... I'll just paint the cavity with Humbrol model paint and be happy  :glasses9:

Cederick said:
But it sometimes happens that people dance around like morons with beer on gigs and things can get pretty messy on stage.

I don't wanna have my alder drowning in beer... Or is that healthy for the wood?  :toothy10:

I only recommend that treatment on onion rings

Back